• Register Today It's free!

4X4 to 4X2 Conversion

backfrmcolorado

Reaction score
City, State
Commerce Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie B explod*****
I know what your all thinking....why go from 4wd to 2wd. Well the auto hubs are shot, the bushing for the front I-beams are shot, radius arms are scrap, axle splines that the hubs go on are worn off, the transfer case has major slop in it (268,000 miles) and i simply just dont go off road. My question is will the 2wd front ttb just bolt into place of where the 4wd ttb did? And what all goes into the process with the transmision with the transfer case. i know ill need a 2wd driveshaft but i dont need a 2wd trans do i?

Thanks to anyone with knowledge and help on this subject!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?????

I have never tried the conversion either way yet. I'm trying to convince my dad to do the opposite with his truck as I have all the parts for 2wd to 4wd swap.

The 4wd axle pivot brackets should work. The radius arm brackets are the same and the axle pivots might be the same. I think there are different coil buckets for the 2wd. This may be where they get the extra ride height. I do know I have seen "4x4" stamped in to the buckets on some of mine. I assume they are different. I see no reason why however, that you could not use the 4wd buckets, springs, and shocks with the 2wd axle beams and radius arms. It would just sit a little higher than other 2wds

The 2wd trans tailshaft will bolt to the 4wd trans, but I'm not sure if the output shaft is the same between the two models. To change an output shaft the whole trans has to come apart, so if you want to rebuild your trans this may be the time to do it.

It should be a pretty straight forward job although time consuming, I'll try to look up the output shafts and see what part numbers I can find. I am expecting them to be different, but you never know. You may want to look around for a wrecked 2wd and build one vehicle from the two. It just depends how much time and if you have the place to do the work.

How did you destroy the 4x4 beams and splines on your front axle anyway? It may just be easier to get a front axle assembly and t-case from the bone yard and swap it in? There are great threads on rebuilding the BW13-54 t-case on the forum too. Hit the search button and see what you can find.

Hey thanks for the help man...yeah i figured it was going to be time comsuming lol since it took me 4 hrs to put new radius arm brackets on a few weeks ago.

As far as how the 4wd go destroyed im not 100% sure. The Carfax on the truck stated it was a stolen recovery and went thru three auto aucton thru its life.
This truck has been a project ever since i bought it hahah.
The guy i bought it from told me straight forward that the 4wd was shot when i lookd at it. But the 4wd beams are ok it just the bushings are worn and the outer axel splines are worn from the auto hubs i assume??...?? I also want to change the front to 2wd because im looking to lower it at the same time.
Reason is im hoping to do rust repair, repaint and a rool pan on the back with prolly 22" rims.
lol im kinda the city type with my old X, i got buddies with lifted X's or trucks to go play in. At a later date im going to try and retrofit an older SVT mustang engine with manual trans and make a nice toy out of her.

James duff has 5.0 conversion parts if you want to take that route. The deal mostly with broncos but have some stuff for Explorers. Check out thier website - jamesduff.com

Thanks man...will do.

Back