5.0 Fast Idle.. Help! It's like driving a Toyota!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Fast Idle.. Help! It's like driving a Toyota!!

wolgie

Reaction score
City, State
D/FW
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4dr AWD 5.0
OK here's the deal, the idle frequently surges up to 1500-1800 rpm, it's like having the cruise control on. And when I go to stop it's like I'm driving Carrie or something. Anyway, I changed out the IAC, cleaned the MAF. Disconnected the battery. And guess what:rolleyes:,,yep, it's still doing it.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be the throttle position sensor. I had the same problem with my Cougar. Not fun on ice. If you do replace the TPS buy from Ford. I bought 2 from the "Discount Auto" store and both crapped out on me after 6 months. The Ford one is still going after 5 years.

Is there a TPS on this thing? IF so where would it be located?

Also, I just disconnected the IAC and it idled a whole lot better. dropped from about 100rpm to about 700w/out ac and 900 with. I drove it around for a few minutes and it didn't have any fast idle problems. One other thing, the new IAC I got has the plug straight out the end, the old one turns to the side, should this concern me?

Is there a TPS on this thing? IF so where would it be located?

The TPS is a a black sensor is attached to the throttle body. Reasonably easy to swap out, but the fasteners holding it in place can be a nightmare to loosen.

There was a recall on some of the cruise controls, but i think it was because of a fire hazard not because it randomly came on.

Back