5.0 with P0171, Rough Idle, Hard Starts - Clogged fuel filter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 with P0171, Rough Idle, Hard Starts - Clogged fuel filter?

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
So for the past month or so I've had some extra hard starts sometimes, but I chalked that up to the garbage AutoZone starter I have. Also have noticed that power is down, and when I give it the boot going up an incline it's really noticeable, regardless of how much fuel is in the tank. Lately I've noticed an occasional rough idle when coming to a stop but usually if I just sit there for 5-10 seconds it goes away for the remainder of my trip. Today the rough idle got worse, it would go away and then come back. Than tonight it throws a p0171.

My first instinct due to the hard starting, lack of power that is exponentially worse going up hill, and the rough idle is to assume it's a clogged fuel filter. Embarrassingly, I have never changed the fuel filter on this vehicle since I've owned it. I know, I know, complete rookie move. Am I right in assuming an old clogged fuel filter could cause this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be. Running a fuel pressure test is a better idea but I still would replace fuel filter if you haven't yet

I'm getting the same problem with mine. When I'm gunning it up a steep hill on the freeway my check engine light is flashing and im getting no power whatsoever. Also I can hear my Cats having post detonation from to much fuel getting trapped.

At first I thought it was my MAF sensor but it looks ok and I carefully cleaned it. Then I checked my wires but they seem fine.

Run a scan to see what codes it pops up? My cel light flashed at higher rpms because of a clogged fuel injector. When it flashes it is something terribly wrong

I'm getting the same problem with mine. When I'm gunning it up a steep hill on the freeway my check engine light is flashing and im getting no power whatsoever. Also I can hear my Cats having post detonation from to much fuel getting trapped.

At first I thought it was my MAF sensor but it looks ok and I carefully cleaned it. Then I checked my wires but they seem fine.

Flashing CEL means there's a misfire on one or more specific cylinders.

Went ahead and had the fuel filter replaced after work. Guy said it was absolutely disgusting. Noticed an immediate improvement in idle and power. Gonna run a bottle of fuel system cleaner and some techron in the next 2 tanks to clean it up a bit.

Back