Solved - 5.0L with a rounded spark plug. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 5.0L with a rounded spark plug.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

RandomNerd2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 5.0, 01 4.0.
So, I've got a 5.0 with a rounded spark plug, cylinder three, plug is complete but rounded off, and the ohters came out without a hitch, I'm not pulling the head on a quarter million mile 302 I've got no records on, there has to be a way, the other 7 came right out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update, plug is completely round upon further inspection, have tried metric sockets, tapping one of those on, handful of spark plug sockets, flat wrenches didn't cut it, no type of pliers did either, certainly seems pointless to pull the head on a quarter million mile 5.0 so what's a good plan? Those Irwin Bolt Grips?

I've been lucky by breaking the insulator and pounding a smaller size splined socket on and using an impact.

Have you tried running the engine up to temperature, putting penetrant on it, and trying while hot? However I don't know if spraying penetrant on a hot plug might crack the insulator... maybe put the penetrant on before starting the engine.

Are you getting a misfire on that cylinder? If not, you might consider just leaving that plug in, for now at least since you don't deem it worthy of pulling the head.

Was it round before you started? I've had luck on other motors breaking the insulator off and using a screw extractor. Could try slathering a 12 point socket in jb weld, and hammering it on, and letting it sit. I did something similar at work in an area where cutting and heat aren't options.

I'd treat it like a rounded off lugnut, after breaking the insulator part, which is just in the way now. With a lugnut, you find the right socket which is super tight but just begins to go on it. Test for a socket using an old plug. The 5/8" socket is too big, try the metric size smaller, 16mm is it? Try a 16mm 12 point socket, to see if it can be hammered onto the plug. Don't use one that requires too much force, you don't want to ruin the threads in the heads.

If that won't work, then I'd be trying easy out that you drill into the center and install the tool into the hole. Good luck,

5/8 = 0.625in
16mm = 0.629921in

5/8 deep well extractor?
Snap on BEXD201
https://store.snapon.com/BEXD-Deep-Well-Extractors-5-8-Deep-Well-Extractor-P669252.aspx

BEXD181.jpg

5/8 = 0.625in
16mm = 0.629921in
Hmm, I was hoping the 16mm was a hair smaller. The 12 point socket for either might be a good size to beat on it. Just know it may take a press to remove the plug from the socket later. I had to use a press three times to remove three lugnuts before. That was the last time I happened to let a shop install new tires on a car. They had them on way too tight, and the locks broke(one didn't).

Update, tried the socket idea, ended up going to Lowes and getting a set of Irwin Bolt Grips, busted the insulator off hoping for the best, and pulled it with that, two feet at least of extensions and an impact gun, since it was oddly extremely tight (don't do that at home, was going to drop in low mile engine if that went badly). It was rounded when it was installed, and rusted in,wasn't too rough but needed changing, had a misfire on that cylinder, looked like it was cracked when installed, got the whole thing out though, and it runs smooth now, wasn't anything close to the right way to handle it, the right way is a deep well extractor, but it's done and I got away cheating on it, don't do that at home and hopefully I won't have that issue anymore. Viewpoint of breaking the insulator off was, sure it might break apart and end up with the head off, but it's gotta come off with that in there, I can't get any worse by trying this. Also, reason I didn't deem pulling the head worthy is it's got 257K miles on it, and I haven't gotten 500 miles on it yet of my own driving to know if it's a good solid engine, I think it is but I'd hate to pull a head and do all that work just to discover it's at death's door, though it doesn't seem anywhere near it.

Well done, you had a good day. Appreciate that and don't do anything else risky for a day or so. Broken off bolts are high level tasks, you did well.

With that luck I'd buy a lotto ticket next. I've read other posts here about a spark plug rounding off, then breaking flush with the head. They tried to drill it out then the drill broke off in the spark plug. Then an easy out breaks off after drilling the drill bit out.

Thanks, and considering my recent luck, I should probably invest in a lottery ticket. I was worried about it breaking off flush but it came out, so it's still trucking along, runs great now.

I thank God for this forum! Thank you guys for the advice to try the Irwin Bolt Grips! Monday evening I went to the local Lowe's, but couldn't find them. Tuesday I did a search on the internet for Irwin Bolt Grips, and the first place that came up was Advance Auto. Better than that, they have a set of 5 deepwell Grips for $35.99! The largest size in the deepwell set is 5/8 - exactly what I needed. Ordered online & got a 15% discount, then picked them up at the store. Put it on the rounded off spark plug, and it came right out easier than the other 7 had.

I'm going to have to get a set of Irwin Bolt Grips.

Excellent, it's great to hear that some bolt-outs do work.

Some don't do much or you can't get a solid grip on them, like the old knurled type with tiny square shanks(those are junk). Thanks for the good news, we need it. Night,

The Irwin Bolt Grips have the most reviews online, with very few negatives. Harbor Freight's version has decent reviews, but a higher percentage of negatives. Northern Tool's version sound like they're junk. It looks like most of the major auto parts chains sell Irwin Bolt Grips. Advance Auto came up first in my search, I'm a Speed Perks member there, and several of their local stores showed them in stock, so that's where I went.

Very good, I'll look them up soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even I learned something, I was going to invest in a deep wall set and now I know where to get them, I both helped a member and learned something.

Back