5.4 swap 03 Mounty | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

i totaly agree with you, if anything hte 5.4 block weights 20-30 lbs more and with the 80+ hp and t/q you will get i say the weight is worth it. (its just a little taller than the 4.6L like 1.5-2 inches). and they make adaptors so you can plug 4.6L manifolds + superchargers onto the 5.4L block.. the 5.4L 4v dohc engine is a BEAUTIFUL engine, when i build my engine i hope to be able to afford to go from 2v's to 4v...they have a much better power potential.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

despite what these people say, i say go for it man...i dont know about other places but in alaska you can only drop in a motor from the same class of vehicle from the same manu, from the same year or newer...so a 5.4L swap would be street legal here in alaska...you could make 5.4L DOHC swap fit pretty easy(because the are wider going toward the center of the block, the exterior dimensions arnt that different from the 2v heads). keep us informed man.

That sounds all well and good but despite the difficulty of this swap you should also factor in the difficulty and cost of finding a DOHC 5.4L engine. Those vehicles are listed here and all rare/more expensive than he sounds like he can afford:

Lincoln Navigator
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R
Ford Falcon XR8
Ford GT
Ford Falcon FPV GT
Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

Good luck on your engine search.... I would stick with a 2V if you even consider the swap to begin with. I also recommend not doing the swap for the record.

Only the 5.4L engines are known as Tritons... The 4.6L's are not included under the Triton namesake. They are simply Modulars. That also includes the 6.8L V10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series

Tenth generation (1997–2004)

Completely new, more efficient engines were offered beginning in 1997. A 4.2 L OHV V6, based on Ford's 3.8 L Essex V6, replaced the 4.9 L OHV I6, while 4.6 and 5.4 liter SOHC V8s replaced the 5.0, 5.8, and 7.5 liter OHV V8s, respectively. The 4.6 and 5.4 liter V8s were marketed under the name "Triton" and mark the first use of Ford's Modular Single Overhead Cam (SOHC) engines in the F-Series pickups.

and a random pic of one I found on Ebay
1198r.jpg

Seriously, three posts in a row, all saying pretty much the same thing? On some forums we call that "post whoring"....;)

But anyway, if the 4.6L would be a better option, then why do they start the GT500's out with a 5.4L and then build from there? Probably because it's .8 more liters and has more potential. And if the extra weight isn't that big of a factor for a Mustang, what makes you think it will be for an Explorer?:rolleyes:

First of all, you would be concerned with post count... I can't believe you care about that! Do you get a cookie for having posts? Are you jealous?

Second, the reason they start with a 5.4L in the GT500 is because it is the only engine option that can reliably make 540hp. They can inexpensively make 540hp to offset the weight. AND, if you knew anything about the said GT500 you would also realize that the 5.4L in the GT500 is a 4V and not the technologically defunct and outdated 2V. Please discontinue your comparison of a GT500 with a 4V 5.4L and 500hp and a '03 Mountaineer with a pickup engine shoehorned into it.

Thirdly, for the weight problem, I don't think it will be a problem persay, just a unnecessary weight. Unless he is planning on producing upwards or 500hp, a 4.6L is MORE than adequate. The weight is a factor in the GT500. They just cancel it out with 540hp.

I stand corrected on my reply, chriswells78. My source was apparently misinformed.

That sounds all well and good but despite the difficulty of this swap you should also factor in the difficulty and cost of finding a DOHC 5.4L engine. Those vehicles are listed here and all rare/more expensive than he sounds like he can afford:

Lincoln Navigator
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R
Ford Falcon XR8
Ford GT
Ford Falcon FPV GT
Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

Good luck on your engine search.... I would stick with a 2V if you even consider the swap to begin with. I also recommend not doing the swap for the record.

Have you actually read the whole thread?! He already has an engine!

hidesbehindsofa.gif

i have already had the 4.6L out of my truck...and there is AMPLE room in the bay to pull off the 5.4L dohc engine(or the 2v engine and or supercharged), including hood clearance, its not as cramped in there as you might think. the only reason the explorer does not have a 5.4L is it would hurt the fleet fuel economy of fords line up, id bet they have med a prototype of a 5.4L explorer...cus they did a v10 mustang so why not? I was GOING to do the 5.4L lightning swap, but i was a little short on cash (as i recently got engaged), so i just went for a practicaly new 4.6L...i think you should state your opinion, and leave it at that...there is NO need to start bickering between other members of the site man.

Have you actually read the whole thread?! He already has an engine!

Obviously I have read the whold thread. It was suggested earlier by zerodevil that he look into a 4V 5.4L. Hence the reason I presented the previous reply. Many people on this forum don't know the difference between the 5.4L 4V, 2V, and 3V. You all should realize that he could just go out and sell the 5.4L he has and purchase a Nitrous kit.... For less money and more than a 80hp gain.

i say do it nitrious is cheep and others have it but how nice would it be to say "i have a 5.4 in my mounty do u ?" it will be a one off beast. the only thing i can think of on the 3v is the cam shaft fazers. they are the only 5.4 that has them that i can think of. so just to make it easyer i woud say a 2v or 4v im all for it.

If you haven't spend the money yet and are still thinking about what to do, Trick Flow released new heads for the 4.6 2V. Those heads, w/cams and supporting induction should net you a solid 300+ HP at the rear wheels.

Even though nitrous may be "cheap" you also have to properly maintain it.

I think you would be better off finding a used vortech/procharger and going from there. Cost less and will give you the power you want.

I guarantee you one thing though, after you swap the 5.4 in, it will not be enough and then the modding will never end:D

Neil- The 4.6 2V is nothing to sneeze at. It may not be the God touched GM LS motor(LS1, LS2, LS3) but it's still a potent beast;)

I just noticed I posted 2 in a row, now this is 3!!! Whoops!!!
anim_44.gif

Haha......so, did anyone notice the ";)" at the end of my post whoring statement? I WAS joking around you know....

I was supporting a 4.6L! I fully agree it is a great little motor and certainly has the potential! Have you not been reading what i've been writing? I'm for him KEEPING the 4.6 he has and just modding it. It is far cheaper and will help hold the value of his '03. I wasn't sneezing at it at all, I'm arguing his position (and most people on this thread apparently) that a 5.4L is well-suited for an Explorer. In my opinion, there are far better options.

P.S. Rofo, I missed the sarcasm earlier and was going to say that its pretty sad if you care but obviously now I see you were kidding.

If you haven't spend the money yet and are still thinking about what to do, Trick Flow released new heads for the 4.6 2V. Those heads, w/cams and supporting induction should net you a solid 300+ HP at the rear wheels.

IDK about you, but $2000 for a set of heads is outrageous for this application. The biggest advantage to the TFS heads is the increased intake valve clearance. Since there are really no aftermarket low end torque cams available yet for mod motors (that I'm aware of) it would be pointless to spend that kind of money on heads. Even a port job on a set of stockers will raise the power band to a mostly unusable range. Cams for 2v motors are outrageously expensive anyway. The only cam's I'd even consider for this app would be a Comp Cams 262 to keep the power band low.

For the money, if I were to put a 5.4 in a 3rd gen, I'd stick with the longblock, possibly a long runner intake like the Hardballer, electric fan, CAI, remove the cats, 24# injectors and a Dyno tune. That combo should put 300hp/375tq to the rear tires on a 2wd application.

Over that, the only other route I would go is a supercharger <insert your favorite brand/type here> and a set of matching supercharger cams from a reputable custom cam grinder like MMR, Modular Powerhouse etc.

Rofo- I was just playing around too:)

Chris- Yes they are pricey and so are cams:( But the mods that you mentioned be done to the 5.4, if he was to do that to the 4.6, it'll be a decent running champ. I have a tune, EF and muffler. Run a 15.4 and I still would like to do a CAI, UDP's and throttle body/plenum combo. With those done, hope I can crack into the 14's.

So there are lots of things that can be done to the 4.6 to make it run with the 5.4, but if the OP is going ahead with the swap, then I am looking forward to the results. (plus I will race him and smoke him:D)

Rofo- I was just playing around too:)

Chris- Yes they are pricey and so are cams:( But the mods that you mentioned be done to the 5.4, if he was to do that to the 4.6, it'll be a decent running champ. I have a tune, EF and muffler. Run a 15.4 and I still would like to do a CAI, UDP's and throttle body/plenum combo. With those done, hope I can crack into the 14's.

So there are lots of things that can be done to the 4.6 to make it run with the 5.4, but if the OP is going ahead with the swap, then I am looking forward to the results. (plus I will race him and smoke him:D)

That would be a good race, the torque from a 5.4 is obsurd and just what a heavy vehicle needs. I'll also tell you right now that I picked up nothing in my Stang with a TB and plenum so don't put too much hope in that. If you want 14's, I think gears are your ticket. I know that gets pricey if your a 4x4 but you'll be amazed at the result. The 4.6 likes the higher RPM's and gears will get you there quicker. I picked up .3 going from 3.27 to 3.73 and another .2 going up to 4.10's in my Stang. Good luck

Okay, I would like this thread updated and some pics of your swap. Rumor is your hauling tail at the strip now I've got a ways to go:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the swap done. pics are coming soon, it was as easy as we were discussing, the 2 valve 5.4 bolted in with no issues....the only fabrication I had to do was to the y-pipes, I would strongly recommend getting the y-pipes from the truck you get the motor from. I dressed the 5.4 with the parts from the 4.6, and am using the stock 4.6 tune. It pulls really hard now, one pass in the 1/8th mile it ran a 9.4. LOVE the torque of the bigger motor.

Back