5 speed manual trans not shifting into any gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5 speed manual trans not shifting into any gear

YoungMoney_Twitch

Reaction score
City, State
Anaheim, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ford Explorer xlt
I recently did the clutch kit on my x I reinstalled everything at first it was shifting 1-4 just 5th gear (D) wasn’t going into gear I removed the shifter re installed it & now non of my gears go into gear? I checked the shifter cable looks fine. I checked the fluids and they look fine

1D46CB32-2847-4BB3-9885-DB4C4D1F4178.jpeg

7BE4A790-F205-4000-AA8B-5FB27BD41943.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Second picture I had token off the torx screws. It’s been a minute since I logged on I’m sure there’s a post out there I looked for similar post I did get a little help & now I’m stuck

You did a clutch kit or a shifter bushing kit? Clutch kit means you dropped the transmission down and replaced the clutch. Shifter bushing kit would go along with what your pics show. There is no shifter cable on a manual trans.
Assuming you did the shifter bushing kit, you need to have the stick in neutral when you do it. Did you?

You did a clutch kit or a shifter bushing kit? Clutch kit means you dropped the transmission down and replaced the clutch.shifter bushing kit would go along with what your pics show. There is no shifter cable on a manual trans.
Assuming you did the shifter bushing kit, you need to have the stick in neutral when you do it. Did you?
I did a clutch kit with the pilot bearing replacement I trapped the tranny yesterday & finally installed early in the morning.
Had no idea this where that small
So right when I pulled the shifter it agent into 4th gear I remember, I need to set it back to neutral but I tried the screwdriver method & had no luck aligning the tabs

*dropped the tranny
How do I get it back to neutral?
for lack of better words I did ****ed up

It gotta be stuck in a gear cuz I let go of the clutch and it dies

I figured it out. I got it into neutral & now it’s a little hard to change gears when my vehicle is on.
I also let go of the clutch slowly & right away it rolls the car

My car started running even when the clutch pedal was in today on the way to Walmart.
Had to turn it off and place it into 1 gear

Sounds like the system isn’t bled good enough.
Search for a thread by 410fortune on a the best way to bleed it.

First time I did this I did not replace pilot bearing and installed a new throw out bearing. I will say it was bargain brand. Had similar experience and found that the throwout bearing was junk... so I replaced with a Duralast unit and all seemed to work well. There was quite a bit of bleeding necessary. I had to remove plunger from clutch pedal and manipulate to get all the air out of system. The lesson to me was to change pilot bearing and throwout bearing and not to use bottom shelf parts.

Yea I like going with Napa parts the clutch kit I got did come with the pilot bearing but no throw out bearing.
How many bearings are in the outer case on the input shaft? Besides the pilot bearing & throw out.

Back