5r55e, loses drive when hot but reverse ok; when cold works 1-2->D and has reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e, loses drive when hot but reverse ok; when cold works 1-2->D and has reverse

HJP

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer EB 4.0, 95 S6
Car has big BM trans cooler and inline trans filter at 143k. Put 7k on it, moved to San Diego from MA with it.

I'm on my way to work in the early AM, to get going I slip trans into 1->2->D once I hit 10 or so, has always been the method to get going. I hop on highway fine, 25 miles of cruising. Take exit and stop at light. Try to accelerate, flares to 3500 then catches, shifts and flares, catches. Make it to next light, go to accelerate, only revs. Drop it to 1, only revs. Back it to N then drop to 1 again, only revs. Slide to R, catches like a dream and I reverse to edge of road. Tow to shop. No OD lights.

4 hours later, go to shop and fire it up, 1->2->D works, not smooth but works. Reverse into parking space perfectly. Repeat 5x, still catching all gears so I park it. No codes, fluid brown, a little above hatch marks when hot, no material visible on dipstick, haven't pulled pan yet.

Called Central Valve Body and was very generously given the time of day and helpful insight. Sounded like hot fluid could be losing pressure due to tired gasket/vb being the culprit.

Called Sunbelt VB and was given more insight, said 50/50 on valve body being tired with hot/weak solenoids, could also be hard seals losing fluid pressure when hot.

Called a trans shop and was told if I'm losing forward gears it absolutely will go deeper than just a valve body.

Does this feel familiar to anyone? If it was torque converter I wouldn't get any forward or reverse I assume? If I can get out of this with valve body + labor I would be happy. I wish I had more tools with me, anyone in SoCal want some free beers and BBQ, and a new friend? :)

Back