5R55E Transmission No Drive or Reverse but 1 and 2 Work | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Transmission No Drive or Reverse but 1 and 2 Work

Yeah I got the first section of the valve out but the second won’t budge. Do you think this could be the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It definitely doesn't help but I'm not entirely certain what those two valves do

What ever happened with your transmission problem. Was it the valve body ? Or something inside the innermost transmission.

Hey guys it’s been a while!
The explorer has been running great but the other day as I pulled out of the driveway the truck just disengaged. It was either shifting from second to third or third to fourth.

Anyway I pulled to the side but the truck just revs in drive and reverse and does not move
I put it into manual 1 or 2 and she drives fine. And after that the truck will crawl if I put it into drive or reverse and rev It higher than normal (like it’s there but slipping a lot). While driving if I shift from 2 to drive it still doesn’t engage. So I’m stuck going a max of 45-50 in second. I have not tried it with the OD off.

Funny thing is I just had the tranny rebuilt a couple years ago (not that many miles) but the transmission shop that I took it to went out of business to honor their “Warranty” (go figure)

I took it to my mechanic and he said all of the solenoids and sensors are functioning fine but he supposedly opened it up and smelled something burned up (but refused to touch it because he doesn’t specialize in trannys). His solution? Buy a whole new transmission and he will install it.

Something’s a little fishy about this because when I took it home today there was still fluid in it ( I thought to take a look inside, the pan has to be taken out, as well as the fluid) unless my mechanic put in new fluid. And also the pan is covered in clean engine oil?!? (Mines slightly dirty so not leaking from the engine). He also pulled codes from it but constantly changed the subject everytime I asked what the code was.

Anyway I’ve been looking around and I just wanted your opinions on it. I saw a similar thread on here and if it’s the OD sprag then I’ll probably end up getting a used transmission and putting it in. But I also read about the valve body being cracked or the gasket being blown? That’s a job I can do so I was just wondering. I don’t really want to rebuild it again or pay thousands to have someone do it. Thanks guys!
Also it’s a 2000 Explorer XLT 4X4 with the V6 4.0 SOHC and the 5r55e transmission
Driving it in 1 and 2 rules out a bad torque converter, transmission pump, or clogged transmission filter or cooler, so it tells , me the problem is more than likely the overdrive sprag.. This is a video I made on diagnosing and fixing the problem..

So the problem is that drive doesnt engage at all regardless if I manually shift through the gears. 1 and 2 are fine but drive is still a complete loss if I shift from 2 to D. Would that still be the sprag you mentioned?
Yes..

I don't suppose you happen to have a lead on the inner and outer parts that are potentially scored/damaged by the failed sprag? (see this vid: )

Looks like the ring gear and possibly the center shaft? Would that be what's damaged?

Back