• Register Today It's free!

5R55E No overdrive CEL on

Robertp79

Reaction score
City, State
Bakersfield, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
This is my first post, I tried to find my particular problem before posting, but after reading for days and many hours I have been unable to locate the solution. I have a 98 Ford explorer 2wd 4.0 sohc and have the cel on. The code reads po761 solenoid C stuck or off. I pulled the tranny pan and changed the C solinoid. I tested all the other solenoids and they all had the correct resistance. The solenoid that I pulled out tested 27.7 ohms and clicked when 12V to terminals. The transmission shifts into all gears except overdrive. It first started with the OD light flashing on and off. I disconnected the battery and the "OD off" went away, but the CEL was still on, and would not shift into OD anymore. Maybe pressure control solenoid? :salute:I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 150,000 I did not check the bolts.

There was very little friction material and no metal in the pan both times that I changed the filter and fluid since I bought it at 70,000 miles. Thanks

Thanks, I thought I seen the plug connector diagram with the resistance for all the coils somewhere here? I will look for it again. Do you know off hand if the C solenoid also works the overdrive?

Back