5r55e post rebuild leak after 20 k miles 98 4.0 sohc 2wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e post rebuild leak after 20 k miles 98 4.0 sohc 2wd

floridacatfan

Reaction score
City, State
Palm beach gardens
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer xlt 4.0 soh
I had my transmission rebuilt by a transmission shop at 156 k. Now there is a leak gathering on the pan after 20 k - I have not tried to trace it above the pan but plan to.

Does anyone have any first cuts at where it might b leaking.

The rebuild kit was presented as “new sssembly kit guide #getbnr (B)

Any ideas ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh - it seems like it shifts fine but it barely gets pitted around

If the pan is wet, but the transmission above the pan rail is dry, then either the pan bolts are loose, the pan gasket is not sealing, or the oil pan itself could have a problem. Most likely oil pan gasket or loose pan bolts. I would clean and dry the entire area, then watch for the leak to re-appear after driving the car for some time, hopefully it can be traced back to the source.

Check the dipstick tube or servos on side of trans.

Good input - thx you - here is what’s i have accomplished

Did a recheck of the fluid level - it’s currently 3/4 - 1 inch over the hot line after properly driving and on level. I am going to remove some fluid.

Checked torque on all bolts and I could apply some torque on some bolts with 1/4 inch ratchet - they may have been 10 ft lbs but it sure seemed easy to apply a little more torque

I looked very closely at the dipstick interface and it’s obvious to me it’s leaking there but I’ll clean it up and try again

Leakage dominates on the passenger side where the heat shield is but I struggled with the heat shield and I could only mirror the two covers there

Is there a trick to getting the upper heat shield bracket to realest ? Is it bolted ? The bottom are clips?

Back