5r55e rebuild friction plate question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e rebuild friction plate question

Bwr808

Reaction score
City, State
Hilo
Year, Model & Trim Level
98, 2wd
I got a trans rebuild kit that says 4r44/55e, 97+, but some of the parts are little different, mainly the intermediate friction and steels. Oem has the common directional slashes that that point right as yiu assemble into drum. The kit I got has raybestos frictions but the pattern and steels are different. The new ones have more of a weird spiral pattern and no label as to top/bott, and steels do not have little half circle cutout on notches that fit into drum. I'm assuming it may be an improved design or something on friction, and ok to use, or are they not interchangeable? Are the steels without cutouts on notches OK to use? Kinda worried about fluid flow. Some other parts that are different was the reverse servo seal LG outer one. Oem is an oring, new kit has a double lip seal. It fits and seals, but kinda worried they're not interchangeable, also the drum cushion square oring under rear clutch pack was skinnier and fit in the groove loose, so I had to reuse the original.

I dont think you have a issue with any of those differences, the clutches will be fine and can be installed in any direction, the steels should work fine too, as long as they fit in the drum and can move freely in the grooves your good. There is no need to worry about hindering fluid flow with those steels either the clutches will get plenty of fluid.
As for the forward drum cushion the new skinny one will work fine, it doesn't have to fill the entire groove it just has to stick up higher than the piston. Reusing your wont matter as long as it is higher than the piston as well.
The double lip seal for the outer reverse servo seal in a upgrade from the OE o ring, and leave the big spring out from under the reverse servo this will help with reverse delay. This spring was eliminated in the later units so you may not have one anyways.

I got a trans rebuild kit that says 4r44/55e, 97+, but some of the parts are little different, mainly the intermediate friction and steels. Oem has the common directional slashes that that point right as yiu assemble into drum. The kit I got has raybestos frictions but the pattern and steels are different. The new ones have more of a weird spiral pattern and no label as to top/bott, and steels do not have little half circle cutout on notches that fit into drum. I'm assuming it may be an improved design or something on friction, and ok to use, or are they not interchangeable? Are the steels without cutouts on notches OK to use? Kinda worried about fluid flow. Some other parts that are different was the reverse servo seal LG outer one. Oem is an oring, new kit has a double lip seal. It fits and seals, but kinda worried they're not interchangeable, also the drum cushion square oring under rear clutch pack was skinnier and fit in the groove loose, so I had to reuse the original.
It varies by what brand kit you buy. I think nondirectionals have no slashes. Your spirals point one direction. Watch this guy, he is good.

Actually I figured it out, and yes it's just the raybestos ht "upgraded" frictions, however I was still unsure on the steels without the little cutouts on the end of the notches so I reused the old ones because they were still new looking. Looks like someone rebuilt this trans recently (Old frictions still had printed numbers clearly visible on faces). Also, found the actual reverse servo oring in separate package under the cardboard in back of kit smh. Got the entire case put together and valve body/plate assembled on put on. Just need to put the pan and bell on and it's going back in. One of the easiest auto rebuilds I've done

Back