• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Troubles

SDenny61

Reaction score
City, State
Sullivan, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger 4x4
I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0L 4X4 with the 5R55E. The tranny was just recently rebuilt, including a reman VB and a rebuilt torque converter. 3 days ago I was driving down the road and all seemed fine. I slowed to make a turn and as I started to accelerate, the tranny seemed to jump into N. I let off the gas and it shifted back in and away we were.
Today I was coming home from town and the same thing happened. Only this time it wouldn't straighten out and I was stopeed on the side of the road. No R or OD. If I pull it down to manual 1 ro 2 can go. Once up to about 50mph in 2 I shifted back to OD. It seemed like it tried to shift into gear but was slipping really bad. Then it shifted into OD and away we were again. Then the O/D OFF light started flashing. Truck has about 5,000 on the rebuild with a total of 125,000 on the truck. Need some help!

Steve

Wow. What a mess. Who did the rebuild? What was the reason for the original repair work? Could it be the computer (PCM)?

How's the fluid level of the transmission?

Rebuild was to fix broken R band. A remanufactured VB was purchased from Phoenix and installed. Checked fluid level and it is in middle of hash marks and appears clean and not burnt. O/D OFF light was flashing. Will be having the codes read from the computer today sometime.

Back