• Register Today It's free!

5r55w Problem

dirtcrew51m

Reaction score
City, State
N.J.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6
03 Explorer, 4.6, 5r55w, issue after about 3-5 miles of driving the o\d off flashes on the instrument cluster, and the info center says check trans. I changed the solenoid pack, same, the code comes up as the torque converter lockup solenoid, is there one separate from the solenoid pack? Or is it in the valve body?

Main question, is it safe to drive with the od off? At 55-60 the rpms are 1900-2000, is this ok? only thing I notice is mileage a bit off.

03 Explorer, 4.6, 5r55w, issue after about 3-5 miles of driving the o\d off flashes on the instrument cluster, and the info center says check trans. I changed the solenoid pack, same, the code comes up as the torque converter lockup solenoid, is there one separate from the solenoid pack? Or is it in the valve body?

Main question, is it safe to drive with the od off? At 55-60 the rpms are 1900-2000, is this ok? only thing I notice is mileage a bit off.
First, understand the "OD/OFF" light is used as a warning only; it does not mean OD (5th. gear) is at fault. The Torque Converter Clutch operation may easily be checked by careful use of the TACHOMETER. Your eng. speed at 55-60, along with the code described, indicates the vehicle is operating in 5th. gear (Overdrive) with the Torque Converter Clutch not engaged. The Solenoid Module contains 8 solenoids, including the TCC; changing it should have cleared up the problem. Was a new module used, made by a reputable maker?

Confirm failure of TCC to engage. As vehicle is brought up to cruise speed, each shift may be seen on the tachometer. The first drop in RPMs is 1-2 shift, then 3rd, 4th, and 5th. The Converter Clutch is engaged LAST, after all the shifting is finished. At 60 or so mph, slightly increasing gas pedal pressure should cause NO IMMEDIATE jump up in RPMs on the tach; if it does, the clutch is NOT ENGAGED. When engaged, the system operates as though the torque converter were not present, engine input goes directly into the transmission.

Without TCC operation, you may safely drive the vehicle without converter clutch operation as long as you wish. Do not believe "experts" dire predictions. We drove cars without converter clutches for 50 years!

I always drive with OD off unless I'm on the freeway/highway, whatever you wanna call it.
This lights up the yellow OD OFF light on the dash, but that's ok.
It helps me to see my odometer showing 252,658 on the original transmission.

Thanks. The pack was reman, from xtreme trans in Florida, the dtc code is for the tcc solenoid, but with the new pack the truck does shift alot better but same issue, I was more concerned about running the engine at 2000 rpm and the check trans on the info center, or is that just informing that I am running with the OD off? Also when i do press the gas the rpms do not jump, it doesnt go over 2100 or so rpms but settles when I am cruising. Could this also be an issue with the valve body or the converter?

Back