5th speaker with after market stereo ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5th speaker with after market stereo ???

blp5172

Reaction score
i appear to have a 5th speaker in the cargo area of my 2005 x. I just put in a new stereo and the 5th speaker is not working. when i replaced the factory head unit there was a second plug that pulled out of the back but i have no where to plug that in on my new stereo, does anybody know what those wires are for? is the 5th speaker wires on that 2nd plug? Also, if i do find the wires for the 5th, any suggestions on how to wire it in to the 4 channel stereo w/o an amp at this point?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What type of X do you have? I have an 05 but I don't have a rear speaker. I'm not positive, But I figure that extra plug would need be for the single speaker. However I could be wrong. I'm not sure if a circuit tester would work for a speaker.. but I guess you could try to see if power is going to the speaker at all.

that speaker is the sub woofer. if you want to use it with an after-market stereo (which you do if you want decent bass) you'll need to get a small separate amp with low pass filter. hook that up to the audio out (or rear speaker outs or whateveR) from you're new head unit, set the low-pass filter to about 80 or 100hz (or whatever sounds good) and set the level appropriately.

There should be a wiring harness that you may need to get in order to incorporate the factroy subwoofer of the vehicle into the aftermarket stereo. Different versions of the X come with the different sound systems levels and some do and don't include them.

An additional amplifier should not be necessary, as the subwoofer should already have one tied into it.

I am not 100% certain on this as I generally always do my own wiring and exclude as much of the factory as possible.

Check metraonline.com. They will tell you the harness you need. I know they make one for the 06+. I've used it successfully. You do not need another amp. A $20 harness + resistor should be all you'll need.

Like others have said, that small plug that you didn't connect contained the leads for the subwoofer. It has its own amplifier, so all you need is an adapter to plug in the preamp outputs from your new head unit into the leads to the subwoofer amplifier. You'll need the Metra 70-5521 wiring harness, or another brand's equivalent, which can be found at places like (I embedded the links to the products in the company names) Crutchfield or Best Buy, as well as a resistor or (my recommendation) a voltage regulator like this one available at Radio Shack. The voltage regulator is for the amp turn-on lead, to regulate the voltage from the +12VDC the aftermarket stereo puts out down to the +5VDC the stock subwoofer amplifier is accustom to receiving (it stops the loud "thump" from the subwoofer that many people have without the regulator). If you use the search function you'll find explanations on how to solder the regulator in-line, if you need it.

Tom

I just checked metraonline. This piece is the same for Ford 03-UP. I have this harness -- which I will sell you for $4 shipped. It already has a resistor soldered in place. I did notice a minor turn-on thump still -- when I used it. A voltage regulator would work better -- as Squirrelmaster mentions above. I can send pics of the harness. You'll need at least 1 set of RCA pre-outs available. I went completely aftermarket, so I no longer need the 70-5521 harness.

I just checked metraonline. This piece is the same for Ford 03-UP. I have this harness -- which I will sell you for $4 shipped. It already has a resistor soldered in place. I did notice a minor turn-on thump still -- when I used it. A voltage regulator would work better -- as Squirrelmaster mentions above. I can send pics of the harness. You'll need at least 1 set of RCA pre-outs available. I went completely aftermarket, so I no longer need the 70-5521 harness.

Thanks everyone for all of the info, yes i will buy it from you. How can i get the money to you?

I'll PM you a pic & message tonight.

I'll PM you a pic & message tonight.

I received the harness from kkriet01 but im confused, can anyone help. There are the 2 RCA lines and then 2 blue with white stripe wires. They have been tied into one line with the resistor. Im not sure if this needs to be connected to ground, amp turn on line or nothing at all?

I received the harness from kkriet01 but im confused, can anyone help. There are the 2 RCA lines and then 2 blue with white stripe wires. They have been tied into one line with the resistor. Im not sure if this needs to be connected to ground, amp turn on line or nothing at all?
Those blue wires are the amp turn-on wires, so connect them to the amp turn-on lead on the aftermarket deck (typically the blue with white stripe wire is the amp turn-on, as solid blue is for the power antenna).

Tom

Back