6mm bolt location on the front ABS sensor. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6mm bolt location on the front ABS sensor.

brians63

Reaction score
City, State
boyertown,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 xlt
Where is the 6mm bolt that everyone mentions located on the abs sensor. I can't find it and nothing comes apart for me. I'm replacing ball joints on a '94 explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where is the 6mm bolt that everyone mentions located on the abs sensor. I can't find it and nothing comes apart for me. I'm replacing ball joints on a '94 explorer

I don't have Front ABS on my '91 but if someone mentioned a 6mm bolt, keep in mind a 6mm bolt has a 10mm Head on it. Maybe that's the confusion?

I can't find it right now, but I "think" DeRocha (sp?) has a dana 35 front end rebuild thread that has lots of pictures and I "think" I remember the ABS sensor being pointed out..

~Mark

i believe the bolt in question is the 12pt 6mm head on the back side of the backing plate. its a real bear, and as my abs is trash anyway, i just used the 'big hammer, big chisel' method

Did my u joints 6 months ago. Yes it is on the inside surface of the steering knuckle. Had to use a 10 mm deep socket with a 1/4 " drive (tight fit).
Find the sensor, and the tear shaped bracket, note the small hole in the bracket, look on the opposite side, you should see the bolt head.

Replaced a axle seal a month or to ago and had to take off the ABS sensor to pull the axle. Anyways it is a 12 point 6mm socket and is very hard to find at any store. It is located on the backside of the spindle, in the middle, twards the front. If you look at the front of the spindle you will see a hole in the ABS sensor bracket, on the backside is the bolt. I do belive derochas ball joint replacement thread has pics.

I went through hell trying to find the socket, ended up going to midas or some aouto repair shop and asking them, they had the 12point 6mm and I took the bolt out in the parking lot. Good luck.

Back