6R80 and f-150 v6 ecoboost engine in explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6R80 and f-150 v6 ecoboost engine in explorer?

rusty813

Reaction score
City, State
Private
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What exactly are you planning on controlling that engine and tranny with?

Actually, I'll give you some helpful advice. The tranny for a 4.6 uses the same bolt pattern as any modular V8, which means the 5.0 coyote the newer f150 use bolt up to that tranny. Of course, you would need the ecu, harness, etc from an explorer with a 4.6.

The ecoboosts use the duratec bellhousing pattern, so you would actually be better off taking the tranny, ecu and harness from a ranger with a duratec....

Your REAL problem is controlling that ecoboost engine, since ford still hasn't released stand-alone controllers for the ecoboost, and shoehorning that sucker in. A 4.6 is a snug fitting engine in an explorer engine bay, and the 3.5 is dimensionally very similar, though not as long. The problem comes from the turbos, that take up quite a lot of real estate.

If you were to ever attempt this project, get yourself an explorer with a 4.6 and get a 5.0 coyote out of a wrecked mustang or f150, spend the $1500 on an engine control pack, and I'm sure there are plenty of members who would help you brainstorm how to integrate its signals into your current ECU and dash. Figure on your vehicle being out of service for 6 months to a year at minimum assuming you are a very competent mechanic and have a very large budget available.

On the note about the 5.0 coyote:

See here (he used a manual mustang tranny I think)
And somewhere in the internet is info (vague) about a shop that put a 5.0 coyote into a newer Ranger, so they could probably give some pointers.

And if you want ecoboost-like power without a v8, you could just supercharge the 4.0 V6. Everybody tends to say that the ecoboost mpg ratings are way over estimated anyway. Spend some time around mustang forums and you'll find plenty of info about people that have supercharged their 4.0s without bad results (i.e. no catastrophic failure).

Good luck.

Back