Tailgate Glass Button | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tailgate Glass Button

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
I'm trying to figure out my tailgate glass issues- the only way I can lock it is to manually pry the lock shut, but need the thing fixed. If the glass is opened, you can't close it, the glass lock bracket contacting the locking mechanism doesn't trip the lock. The lock works fine when you move it by hand with or without the actuator plugged in, or even hooked up.

I started taking it apart tonight, and the actuator isn't frozen, the glass lock/wiper actuator is fine as I tried swapping that with one I had on the shelf.

Only thing I can think is the button is fubar'd. This is what it looks like, I think it's busted. This can't be normal, no? When you push the button, it just pushes in. It will release the glass if latched, but I don't think it is in condition to let the lock work the other way. Thoughts? I've only seen one, so I have no perspective and can't find one online to compare it to.

IMG_2416.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Strange it should work one way but not the other. That would have to be a button malfunction...Wouldn't it? Seeing as I'm such a mechanical wizard:D:D I'd maybe spray it with MAF cleaner or electrical contact cleaner and see if you can get a result. Sorry, I'm a bit (bit???) of a schmuck when it comes to actually helping people out with auto problem's:):thumbsup:

Who uses keys? :)

Actually- seriously- I never used a key on any of my Ex's doors, gates, or glass buttons. Some were frozen, some needed some lubing up I think. I never tried the key though, I always used the keyless fob, the door buttons, or the interior buttons. Heck- I never took my key out of the ignition. Bad idea, sure, but I just had the key in there without a ring.

Might just need some spray in there? I hadn't messed with any of them. :dunno:

This one I'm only worried about the button releasing the door and allowing the window to re-latch. I wouldn't be using the lock for anything. I'm assuming it's froze up too. I'll have to try it...

Ok, I pulled it out of the truck.

I think the button assembly was f'd up.

This was the orientation in the truck:

IMG_2416.jpg

This is what that looks like:

IMG_2417.jpg

That translates to this:

IMG_2418.jpg

Which means the botton can't fully depress or latch correctly.

It needed to be like this:

IMG_2420.jpg

But there was also some broken plastic in this one, and I have no idea how these two pieces are supposed to be together on this lock, so I'm going to grab a new one at the junkyard and see how that works.

Am I on the right track here, or what am I missing?

Err......A crow bar???
To be sure.

Back