6th Gen Stock 2020+ Explorer & Aviator Photo Thread | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6th Gen Stock 2020+ Explorer & Aviator Photo Thread

Aviator Black Label in Flight Blue... BTW, all of the body panels were nicely aligned as ours is thankfully a "good" unit without issues that others have been speaking of. Though, we had one small issue with the front windshield camera needing recalibration and a clip was missing-- possibly due to the windshield being replaced maybe at one of the facilities or when the recall work was being performed. It arrived with about 30 miles and my dealership was excelling in taking care of the minor issue. Excellent vehicle thus far and have put a couple hundred miles on it. View attachment 173892 View attachment 173893
Beautiful Aviator! I wanted a BL but the closest BL dealer is 50,6 miles away and wouldn’t the pickup and delivery with a loaner since we were over the 50 mile limit. I’m enjoying my Reserve I I with all options.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I spent hours today putting on 2 coats of CarPro CQuartz CQUK 3.0 ceramic. Was worth it. I have the black Gorilla lugs on my wheels for those that want to swap them out. I came from a tuned and tweaked Mustang GT with Stainless Works catback exhaust and this is almost as fun to drive and a lot more comfortable! For those of you waiting, it is worth the wait!

IMG_0341.jpg
IMG_0342.jpg
IMG_0343.jpg
IMG_0345.jpg
IMG_0346.jpg

I spent hours today putting on 2 coats of CarPro CQuartz CQUK 3.0 ceramic. Was worth it. I have the black Gorilla lugs on my wheels for those that want to swap them out. I came from a tuned and tweaked Mustang GT with Stainless Works catback exhaust and this is almost as fun to drive and a lot more comfortable! For those of you waiting, it is worth the wait!

View attachment 174007 View attachment 174008 View attachment 174009 View attachment 174010 View attachment 174011

What a beautiful ST. Nice pics.

Looks great! I just did the first wash on mine after doing the cquk last weekend. The restore spray really brings the shine back!

Make sure whatever soap you are using after ceramic coating is a PH neutral soap.

Probably didn’t use a ph neutral soap, just used what i had around. McGuire’s i think. Is it just going to wear the ceramic off faster?

Probably didn’t use a ph neutral soap, just used what i had around. McGuire’s i think. Is it just going to wear the ceramic off faster?

Yes, I was told specifically to ensure any soap I use was PH Neutral from the Xpel guy who did mine.

I have been using Chemical Guys for a while and didn't even realize it was Ph neutral till after he told me what to look for and i noticed it says it right on the bottle. Also have 2 of these mits.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...uid_Ounces&qid=1569109899&s=automotive&sr=1-2

Yes, I was told specifically to ensure any soap I use was PH Neutral from the Xpel guy who did mine.

I have been using Chemical Guys for a while and didn't even realize it was Ph neutral till after he told me what to look for and i noticed it says it right on the bottle. Also have 2 of these mits.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-Microfiber-Scratch-Free-Fluid_Ounces/dp/B07SJ1K8DN/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Chemical+Guys+CWS208+Watermelon+Snow+Foam+Cleanser+(1+Gal),+128.+Fluid_Ounces&qid=1569109899&s=automotive&sr=1-2
Good recommendation, I liked the CarPro system so well I got their shampoo called Reset. It is Ph neutral as well and can get on Amazon as well.

The leaking shocks is a known issue with Ford. My guy out in Michigan told me about 3 weeks ago there were some bad struts out there.. he has had a few Explorers with them that needed to be replaced.

I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

It all looks so purty when new.

Scheduled for the 21st for Ceramic coating with paint correction and front clear bra. They will need it for 3 days.
So it was between Xpel and Suntek. I've read a lot of reviews between 4 or 5 films and these seem to be the best 2. Suntek is easier to apply and less orange peel. It is also a little more glossier than Xpel.

Neither have the kits out yet for the 2020. Suntek has the window tint templates so he thinks the bumper and hood should be out very soon.

The suntek dealer here does xpel as well and he recommends Suntek. Also said for this type of vehicle to save my money on a whole hood and just do a partial.

The fact he is recommending me to save money shows he is being honest. So I am going with Suntek (Porsche uses Suntek at their factory for their vehicles).

This dealer is $1,200 for full paint correction, 2 Base Coats, 2 top coats, full glass and wheels. Also going to have him do the calipers so it is a lot easier to clean them (nothing like dirty red calipers). Will also have him do the door handle pockets.

Hood is $299, I'm going to order a new set of "Explorer" letters for the hood so he doesnt have to cut the letters out.

Bumper will be around $400. Also doing all the windows for tint.. 90% on the 2nd row, 3rd row and rear. 30% for the front row, all UV protected.

I'm scheduled for the 26th, 2 1/2 days of work.. hopefully the bumper will be out by then otherwise I'll take it back once that template is available.
I had Expel on my 12 Vette and Suntek on my 17 Vette. Go with the Suntek!

That ceramic is definitely making that red pop. Very nice. I really like the black roof too BUT the red C pillar looks really off not being black.
Back and forth with how I wanted it. I initially wanted C pillar done. But looking at different Range Rover pics that have stock black roof. They have both ways. Wrap guy was hesitant because of line break. It would look wrapped and line would show. If it was painted I would do C also.

Back and forth with how I wanted it. I initially wanted C pillar done. But looking at different Range Rover pics that have stock black roof. They have both ways. Wrap guy was hesitant because of line break. It would look wrapped and line would show. If it was painted I would do C also.

Have you had ceramic done before? It's amazing how clean the vehicle stays!! The surface is so slick that nothing sticks to it. I wash it every weekend and the only thing that gets just a little dusty is the tailgate.

I dig the “ST” puddle lamps but I wish You could have the option disable it.

I'm not sure what I think about the puddle lamps. Maybe cool, but maybe kinda tacky? I'd maybe also want the option to disable or swap out to a general red spot versus the ST logo.

Low-tech but a small strip of electrical tape to cover the bulb could "disable" the lighting?

I'm not sure what I think about the puddle lamps. Maybe cool, but maybe kinda tacky? I'd maybe also want the option to disable or swap out to a general red spot versus the ST logo.

Low-tech but a small strip of electrical tape to cover the bulb could "disable" the lighting?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't know how the puddle lamps on the ST compare to those on the 5th gen models but there are threads/posts in the 5th gen Forum on how to change them to LED. Very easy it seems.

Peter

I'm somewhat new to car detailing. I stopped bothering to wash my year 2000 4Runner a long time ago. But I'm about to join the modern world with our Explorer ST arriving as soon as this weekend. I see that most of the beautiful shiny Explorers in this thread have benefited from a ceramic paint coating. Since I'm going to be at the dealership soon to finalize the purchase, are there any opinions here in me taking the paint protection product that they will offer. I've heard to usually avoid these dealership upsells but after seeing so much praise for ceramic coatings in this thread I'm wondering if it's worth considering having the dealership take care of it even if it's a price premium. We have a toddler and just had a baby so I won't anytime soon be able to find the time to DIY the coating myself. If it's not an outrageous cost, maybe just let the dealer do it and then it's just done. If so, what's a reasonable price range to accept from the dealership for this service? Is what a dealer offers the same kind of ceramic? Thanks!

I guess I'm a little like you. Mine gets washed twice a year at the dealership when I bring it in for twice-yearly oil change and wheel changes (Winter/OEM). It may get washed in the driveway once or twice. Since I lease my vehicles I don't bother with paint protection products etc. but if I wanted such a procedure done I definitely wouldn't have a car dealership look after it. Like blwnsmoke, I'd do some homework and find a reputable company to do the work.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back