• Register Today It's free!

70mm MAF Sensor Housing question

techfreak16

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
hello, i had read on this site in the past about swapping the measley, small MAF sensor housing on the 91-whatever explorers, with the mustang 5.0's 70mm maf housing...im trying to find out the specific answers to sum questions i have regarding such an upgrade. I have searched, but not found any useful info on this site regarding my questions..most posts go off on one side of the spectrum instead of answering the main quesitons(s). so here goes, and bear-in-mind that helpful answers are greatly appreciated.

1. what year of mustang can you use the sensor housing from? - i bought a 94-95 Mustang GT 5.0 MAF housing off ebay, making sure it'll work...

2. it is supposed to swapped to the 70mm one, right?
3. Only swap housing and not the sensor itself, correct?
4. What true benefits will i see by doing this?
5. any issues expected to arise by doing this swap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 91 and thinking of doing the samething with a bigger MAF housing. Maybe someone can answer your questions better.

hello, i had read on this site in the past about swapping the measley, small MAF sensor housing on the 91-whatever explorers, with the mustang 5.0's 70mm maf housing...im trying to find out the specific answers to sum questions i have regarding such an upgrade. I have searched, but not found any useful info on this site regarding my questions..most posts go off on one side of the spectrum instead of answering the main quesitons(s). so here goes, and bear-in-mind that helpful answers are greatly appreciated.

1. what year of mustang can you use the sensor housing from? - i bought a 94-95 Mustang GT 5.0 MAF housing off ebay, making sure it'll work...

I don't know the exact years, but you find them on 4.6l t-birds and 5.0l mustangs. I happened to grab mine from a 3.8l windstar. Swap the explorer sensor into the 70mm MAF housing. The true benefit is more air flow. The stock 4.0l MAF housing is the most restrictive part of the Explorer intake system. There are no issues to be expected. Just reset your computer by disconnecting the batter for about 10 minutes.

hell if your going thru the trouble...put a cone filter on as well...get a maf adapter from like autozone or something....compliments it very nice:thumbsup:

Not super sure on the years but believe your okay with yours that you bought, as has been said they can also come from other Ford 4.6 Autos and even a few newer Explorers (were I got mine from)

For the best all around benefit yes

Yes you use only the housing so this is an easy thing to do, Just make sure to reset your computer by disconnecting the battery neg cable for at lest 5 to 10 minutes easy way do this first when you start then hook it up last thing when done and your set

More air flow and a possible mile or two ingress in MPG over the stock air filter and MAF but that mainly comes when this is done by also adding a good cone filter to it say like a K and N instead of your stock air filter and air box. You will need a MAF adapter to use the cone filter .

None if you use your sensor if you do not then there could be. but by reusing your sensor this is a easy and trouble free mod the only possible trouble spot may be getting the air tube from the MAF housing to the TB to go on to the MAF housing it will fit but it can be a real tight fit some times I know mine was. A little bit of dialectic grease and I do mean a little helps it slide right on .

BTW, if it isn't in your budget to purchase a cone filter, you can always do the "swiss cheese" mod to your stock air box for the time being.

BTW, if it isn't in your budget to purchase a cone filter, you can always do the "swiss cheese" mod to your stock air box for the time being.

The Swiss cheese thing works by the way! That’s all I have done well besides a K and N stock replacement filter with the 70mm housing.

Back