86' 2.3 Ranger Coolant leak somewhere! Over pass. side wheel well? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

86' 2.3 Ranger Coolant leak somewhere! Over pass. side wheel well?

bozo4ford

Reaction score
City, State
Anaheim, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Ford Ranger 2.3 4cy
1986 140 CID GAS Ford Ranger 2.3, 5-speed manual -
After market ARA A/C - No longer working
Blower motor heating coil element caught on fire - heater no longer working either.

Most days, before I drive somewhere, even just a few miles or less, I have to put in a little coolant, about one or two cups, So I know there is a leak coming from somewhere, it’s just not visible, but strangely dripping from my right side front fender wall, just below the air filter, seems strange. Did not see any tiny leaks from my radiator.

What I have done was to check hoses from the radiator to the engine and noticed no leaks. Is there anything else I could do without a major repair? I even used that stop leak a while ago, but that didn't help.

A few days later…..
Ok, when I got home today, I noticed antifreeze dripping from that shield over the right side passengers wheel well. I crawled underneath and on the other side of the tire, and did not see anything as the source. I would think that it would be in the area of the radiator, either upper or lower hoses, or that short hose to the block near the water pump. I will check the heater core hoses going from engine area into Firewall again. But I did not see anything leaking from that right side firewall. I have an aftermarket ARA AC, bit that hasn’t worked for years.

If the leak is not coming from the head gasket, upper or lower radiator hoses, or those two hoses going into the firewall, where else could it be coning from? Very strange it's not anywhere near the radiator or engine, but on the right side passenger’s side, above the tires wheel well. ummmmmmmm.
Some have said it has to be from either those two heater core water hoses going into the firewall.

I have neither a working air conditioner (after marker ARA) or a working heater (leaves found their way from the outside hood vents into the Blower motor and EVAP core and the heating element caught some leaves on fire and burned mostly everything inside this box. I have not replaced that, nor would I at this point,but just want to fix the leak)

A friend suggested that I could just BYPASS the water hoses going into the firewall....is this plausible? Do I do next to the inlet/outlet hoses bt the water pump. or somewhere else?

Sunday 9-12-10...I ran the truck around the block and came back and saw no leak anywhere....That's weird,it was coming out noticeably the other day. I will still inqiure about bypassing the hoses to the firewall, since I have no working heater, and connect a short water hose from one to the other in the picture, if that's safe to do,. Thank you.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Back