Completed Project - Turboexplorer's Full Width SAS Build Thread | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Turboexplorer's Full Width SAS Build Thread

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Hello everybody! It's time to start the SAS on my Explorer. It will be an awesome project and the first project of this type and size that I have ever undertaken. Up to this point the sliders where the hardest thing that I have made myself. I am open to any suggestions and or insights from anyone as the project gets underway. I have bought every last part for the build minus the hard brake lines (axles, and from master to the frame) and the flexible lines that go down to the axles. Those are all easy to make so I am not worried about it for now until I get the axles put together and can see what i want to do with those.

Now for a list of things I will be doing with the project:
1995 F-150 8.8 - I bought this used rear axle that I will strip, lock with a Detroit, convert to Explorer Disc brakes, and mount to the truck. Factory rear sway bar will be used. I will be doing a spring over conversion and will also be remaking the rear V8 anti axle wrap bars to help the leaf springs out with the leverage and TQ the V8 37's and 5.13's will put on them.
1976 F-150 HP Dana 44 - I bought this used axle and will be stripping it of the Ford factory wedges, trussing, and building custom glorified radius arms. Like DB_1 runs and like Rubicon Expresses makes. Front will also have a Detroit Truetrac LSD in it as well. This Dana 44 has 1/2" thick axle tubes.
Fox 14" Remote reservoir coil-overs - I will be building shock hoops for these coil-overs, bracing them, and tying them together across the top of the engine with removable double lock tube clamps.
1995 F-150 Steering box - This will be mounted inside the frame rail and used with the factory PS pump and will build a custom steering link from the box to the column. I picked this 1 to keep it ALL Ford and 2 because they are fairly cheap and easy and can be tapped for hydro assist at some point if I want or need it. In order to fit this steering gear I also have to remote mount my oil filter so that it has room. I will be getting rid of the factory oil cooler and have a Trans Dapt remote filter relocation kit.

Project Parts Section:
-37X13.50 R17 Interco M-16's
-Fox 14" Remote reservoir coil-overs with Eibach Springs.
-Detroit Locker for the 8.8
-Detroit Truetrac for the Dana 44
-Yukon 5.13 gears for both front and rear.
-Both axles will receive ALL new bearings races and seals u-joints etc.
-All wheel studs front and rear and spindle studs have been replaced for safety reasons. To cheap not to.
-Already had EBC brakes on it so those pads on rear will be reused and new EBC 7000 series pads for the front have been purchased.
-New front rotors wheel bearings and new Spicer ball joints, going to reuse the warn locking hubs as they work great and are in good order and easily changed later if i wanted.
-1978 Ford T-Bird calipers have been bought in place of the factory F-150 ones. They are 17% bigger in piston size so will give me a little more brake up front to help stop those 37's.
-Trans Dapt Oil filter relocation Kit and addition mount to hook to the block at a 90*.
-Currie Johnny Joints and Rubicon Express Clevite bushings for the all the link ends.
-GM 1 ton tre's for the steering with a high angle tre at the pitman arm.
-Front axle truss. (wasn't impressed with it at all so will be making some changes)
-Extending current Expedition rear drive shaft and will have a custom double cardon one made for the front.
-Metal used: 2"X.250 wall DOM for lower links, 1 1/2"X.250 wall DOM used for upper links, 1 1/2"X.375 wall DOM used for trac bar, and ALL tabs and brackets will be made out of 1/4" Flat plate by me.
-Double lock tube clamps for the shock hoop cross brace that uses 2 3/8" bolts on each. These are so It can be removed.
-All Grade 8 hardware will be used.
-All flexible brake lines will be braided stainless steel Teflon lined hoses.

I like to follow others projects and often find myself wanting more pictures so bare with me there will be A LOT of pictures of the build. I hope you enjoy lots of pictures as much as I do.

First some pictures of what the truck was! Then onto some parts pictures. Build will start shortly.
1998 XLT Explorer. 5.0L with the 4R70W trans. I have the 4406 T-Case. 3.73 gears with rear LSD. Goodyear 31's. Rock sliders and front skid plate. Links to those builds are in my signature.

P1020388.JPG

P1020410.JPG

P1020476.JPG

P1020488.JPG

And here is some video links! :) There are a few videos of me wheeling in CO with nssj2!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This was wheeling in St. George over Christmas time, just lazy putting a vid together. Has some cool views I think, but need to use the different back door on the GoPro's to get better audio.

Sector9 is the other Explorer in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOWFHVw69v4

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I have been busy with the whole house buying process so haven't played a whole ton seeing as we are saving money for the few things we will need for the house like a fridge and things. But Even though that's all been going on I have added a factory sub to the truck. Found an enclosure in the junkyard and so decided to set it up in my truck. Not after monster bass or anything just a little filler. So this fits the bill since it is all out of the way as well, still have my full cargo area. Cheap Duel amp and a nice Kicker 6 1/2" sub rated at 150RMS 300peak. Sounds really good believe it or not. I used to run a monster Eclipse 12" with 1500RMS but with the family etc no need for that so sold that earlier this year. Also almost done making the speaker cover, will look awesome and can be removed from the cargo area if I need to change any amp settings. Anyways here are the pics.
1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

Also for Fathers Day my wife and daughter and me went up American Fork Canyon and spent the whole day hiking, walking, playing in the river, wheeling etc. Was a blast! Taught my daughter how to throw rocks into the water and she had a hay day with that. She loved hiking and of course was laughing the whole way while wheeling up to Forest Lake. Only got one picture of the truck as this trip I didn't care about pictures, we where just up there having an awesome day and worrying about nothing! Awesome weekend!

So to any of the Fathers out there on the forum Happy Fathers Day!!!!!!!!
9.jpeg

8.jpeg

9.jpeg

8.jpeg

Finished the factory sub cover. I found some nice stretchy fabric and some rope and it turned out really nice. Like how you can see through it yet its not see through. :) Also if you look in the pictures I heated up the tabs and bent them all over. This way you just have to tuck in the tabs when putting it in the truck and it stays nice and tight, but if needed to make amp changes etc you don't have to pull the whole quarter trim, just pull out the cover.

1.jpeg

image(1).jpeg

image(2).jpeg

image(3).jpeg

image(4).jpeg

image(5).jpeg

Just a few quick updates,

Been wheeling several more times here in the Salt Lake Valley, nothing to special other than what you have already seen in the videos of Forest Lake and Mineral Basin. Been meaning to make it out to Rattlesnake and Constrictor as I am now 30 miles closer to those trails in my new house but haven't made it out yet. Went camping and had a blast with my little girl, first time she has slept in the tent, she did great. Speaking of which she was just born when I started this build, picture on the first page of this thread, and now she is almost 2 :eek: WOW time goes fast.

Anyways I have got the plastic to make the tie rod spacers so I will no longer get any tie rod roll. I can explain with pictures better later when I renew my elite membership. While doing that I want to pull the drag link and tie rod and repaint them, its flaking off.

And I have not been impressed with FOX's finish on my coilovers. They are corroding and are no longer all shinny. Not a crazy big deal but was hoping it would be tougher than that. FOX says that is quite a bit sooner than they normally see that happen, and its $20 for shock body and $20 for fluid res to refinish. :( O well maybe when I have them off next I can ship them to FOX, will see.

That's about it really since with the new house things shifted from the truck to the house. Working on finishing and painting my garage now, will look awesome when its done.

Will run Rattlesnake and Constrictor soon and get some pics up.

Never tire of seeing your work. Late thanks and Happy Fathers day to you as well. And 2 is an awesome time!!

Nice job on the sub cover, will try heating the tabs. I didnt install the clear securing tabs when I installed mine, cover keeps falling off during driving. Planned on using velcro but that would be difficult to remove cover.

Went wheeling this weekend. Ran the snakes rattlesnake and constrictor. Was great. Ran rattlesnake when I was stock with sliders and took some good guiding to get it up with no bumps or bruises. But now didn't even squeak a tire or get out of the truck. Lol, funny to run trails that where more difficult before and now are just an afternoon drive. :) Ran part of constrictor but the rest will need a few spots I'll need to be spotted on. So since it was just me and my girls and just wanted a nice easy no stress day date I turned around and we went and Explored more around the area and climbed a monster mountain that we could see our house 25miles away from. Awesome day, super sunny and 62* perfect easy wheeling day with the family. I have pics, will need to renew my elite soI can post them.

Just sold my Trans Am :(. But with part of the money I'm buying a nice new welder for my house. :) So will be doing a front sway (anti-rock) bar and Fox Bumps here really soon. Can't wait!

Quick update, last weekend I snapped my right rear axle shaft. Lol, was loud awesome loud. But with a ratchet strap and careful wheeling we got it off the trail no problem, drove it about 3 miles off the trail with the broken axle. :) Will have to post pictures sometime this week and show everyone what I did and maybe it can save someone else at some point. But got it home no problem. :D

ROCK JOCK 60s! my friend just got them, getting 40 inch mtrs on his wrangler.

True high 9 and 40 spline FF shafts!! Hey it's not my money! :D

Thanks guys! Those are all great and still economical options! ;) It doesn't look like there is any chromoly options for these shafts. So G2 or Alloy USA are my two options. Both are 1541h steel so ever so slightly better an the OE ones. Anyone have thoughts on which company to go with?

Late Sorry to hear about the T/A!! That was one awesome ride. Still miss my '79....

Update: I ordered G2 axle shafts and will carry stock shafts when I go to Moab and farther places as spares. Just in case. The shafts have a 10 year warranty and they seam to have the best customer service reviews so I went with them. All in all no big deal. Now will tear down the axle next weekend and as long as it didn't hurt the locker will toss in the new shafts and be back on the trail, if this becomes a common issue then I will address it from there. I don't think I have heard of many of the forum rigs breaking the 8.8 shafts at all so should be good to go. But don't think many are running the 5.0L, 5.13's and 37's either. So time will tell. :D

Also I made an awesome purchase today!!!! I ordered a new Millermatic 211 and a bunch of other stuff today. :D Will be a awesome addition to my garage and will serve me well for years. I have never welded with a Miller but in my opinion you can't buy a poor welder anymore anyways from one of the main companies. This one can run on either 120V or 230V and on 230V can easily manage 1/4" stuff I weld a lot for the offroad stuff. Says it can weld 3/8" in one pass but sure that is asking a lot from it. But the customer service reviews for Miller seam to have easily 4X the quality and speed so I chose Miller for the better customer service and anything I can find on the 211 has amazing reviews. So Can't wait for all of that stuff to show up, have a few projects in mind as soon as it shows up.

Back