91+ Explorer 4.0 OHV front Y pipe fit 4.0 SOHC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91+ Explorer 4.0 OHV front Y pipe fit 4.0 SOHC?

feedthezombie

Reaction score
City, State
Clintwood, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ford Explorer XLT
I haven't found an answer and the local auto parts stores don't have availability on this for me to buy and try and take back if it doesnt. So i don't want to deal with buying online and having to send it back and eat the shipping costs.

Is it possible to use the front Y that connects to the exhaust manifolds from a 91+ 4.0 OHV to a 4.0 SOHC.... yeah i know the Ypipe won't mate to the remaining exhaust in an SOHC thats not important but i'm interested in the clearances and so forth to mate it up and have it go under the bellhousing etc.. I can fab the rest of the exhaust i just don't have a good means of making the bends to accomidate the front driveshaft and bellshousing curves. Anybody know the answer?

Heres the part i'm talking about

7015255.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anybody have an idea? i would take the chance but i don't want a $120 bucks tied up in a lawn ornament if it doesnt work haha.

what i'm ultimately trying to get away from is buying the SOHC version of the pipes that have the converters in them because they are expensive as hell!

Any other options besides the 4.0 ohv pipe? Were there any SOHC engines without the front pre-cats, that would work?

Did you ever pursue this? I'm in a similar boat and looking at this solution as well.

I am not aware of a SOHC y-pipe with no cats from Ford...

But I have a 96 y-pipe with no cats from another project that I decided to not use..PM me if you want it.. It is much less than the $120 new price...

Did you ever pursue this? I'm in a similar boat and looking at this solution as well.

Dont waste your money... It wont work. Unless you have a welder and a good amount of time on your hands.

i gave up on it going from the way it looked it seemed like more trouble than it was going to be worth. i'm still having hard start rough running/stumble/bad idle etc.. issue that i can't seem to narrow down but haven't had the time to dedicate to it yet

Check plug wires , I had a stumble , rough idle , and Poor Acceleration , and turned out to be the Driver side plug wires on the first and last cylinder were Swapped around with each other , Before I figured that out I did a Minor tune up , fresh oil , plugs and same thing , So I did some research and found that the wires were In the wrong location , Hopefully it's as simple as my issue on my old 99 4.0 ! Good luck with it !

Back