91 Explorer AC Evap Core Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer AC Evap Core Question

truckasaurus

Reaction score
Hi:

This is going to sound really strange, but bear with me...

Folks in the Volvo 240 world suffer from really terrible A/C, save for the last three years the models were made. (Swedes make great heaters -- they know nothing about air-con). The 240s go forever and there were tons of 'em made, so we're looking for a long-term fix.

Since the retrofit parallel-flow R134a-compatible evaporators are no longer available from the factory and converting to the later 240 system is a massive undertaking, we're looking for an alternative evaporator. We've heard that the evap from a 91 Explorer may slide right into our HVAC box and be easily adapted to our TXV system (even though I believe the Explorer uses a CCOT). Nobody's done it yet, that we know of.

The problem for us is getting ahold of one of these evap cores to measure it or even test fit it without spending a bunch of R&D money.

So, here's my appeal: if you've got one laying around that's easily accessible, could you measure it up for me and post what you find here? Perhaps even a photo? We're also not sure what size the inlet and outlets of the Explorer evap are or how they are configured -- on the volvo they both exit on the lower right side of the core. And if you have any further secret info (ie. there's a "high output tropical" version or some nonsense), that would also be appreciated.

And yup, this is a serious question. Most of the online AC catalogs aren't all that helpful.

Thanks very much in advance from those of us who drive bricks!

Cheers.

Back