Evaporator Core Question Help!

TornBand.com

Reaction score
City, State
Pascoag Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4X4
Two part question.

1. I have a 94 explorer sport and I am looking to replace my Evaporator and condenser can, I know I can find the can but the Evaporator is a little tricky to find one that is not broken in a parts yard. So how interchangeable are they. My friend has a 96 ranger and it looks like the same Evaporator size can I use any Evaporator from a ranger or explorer in the 91-98 range or does it have to be a 91-94?

2. Has anyone tried a repair kit? Autozone sells a evpaorator core repair kit, does anyone know if this is for fixing the break. The aluminum line from the condenser to the evpaorator is broken off, does the kit repair tears or breaks or am I better off replacing the whole thing? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of the repair kits I've seen are for broken off orifices although it sounds like that is what you have, the only way a line would run from a condensor to an evap would be with some sort of metering device (orifice) between them

I have a 03 Ranger AC system in my 88 BII, they didnt change anything.

The break occurs on the top aluminum line between the condenser and the evaporator at the point where the line connects to the evaporator. It is broken off. So would a repair kit work. There is a little rust on the evaporator it has not been used in at least two years. Any suggestions Thanks for the reply

a really good shop can weld aluminum....but this one is going to be tough.... best bet? Replace.

Back