911 Emergency Please Help! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

911 Emergency Please Help!

This is an All Wheel Drive truck, very different setup

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no resistance on the vehicle to keep it from rolling though.

While in PARK it just rolls freely.

That's right....with All Time AWD there is no button for 2WD/4WD. It son all the time.

There is no resistance on the vehicle to keep it from rolling though.

While in PARK it just rolls freely.

It is unusual for a 4R70W to take a crap like this, but anything is possible.
Try removing both driveshafts from the differentials. See if you can turn either of the output shafts on the transfercase. If one moves independently of the other, your transfercase is toast.

You must have really walloped the ole' girl to do that.
I agree take the drives shafts off, then the transfer case and your problems will all be come crystal clear, slap a junkyard t-case in it and away ya go.

I've done some heavy rocking in mine to get'er unstuck a time or 3 and mine is still rocking steady.

So you think it is the transfer case huh?

Ok that sounds like my best option so far here....

Remove both drive shafts and remove the transfer case. And check to find the broken link.

Thanks brothers!

It sounds like either the T-case or the output stage of the transmission. Either way, you'll need to drop the driveshafts and the T-case to find out what's going on.

Sounds fun...I already removed and replaced the front carrier 3 times and totally rebuilt the entire front end last year.:salute:

When I did I changed the transfer case fluid...it was BLACK and THICK! Is that any indication that it may have been the culprit? Like maybe it was not long for this world, being the fluid in it had probably never been changed?

Being that the transfercase fluid is auto-transmission fluid and is pink, then, yes, it very well could have been a big clue that the transfercase was not a happy camper and was waiting for the most inconvenient time to take a crap on you.

Back