• Register Today It's free!

92 explorer won't turn over

jreeder

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 V6 4.0L
A couple days ago my explorer with 160k miles on it started having trouble starting, I would turn the key to start but it would take a couple seconds for the starter to click in and even then it wasn't a patterned clicking, it was random. Now it's to the point where it won't start at all - no clicks or anything, the only thing I hear is the fuel pump for a few seconds.

I had the battery tested and it was fine. I also replaced the ignition switch (tumbler) and electronic ignition switch with no luck. My battery terminals are clean, but not very tight because the clamps are old, but I know they're still making contact.

I'm guessing it's a problem with starter? Should I go ahead and walk to autozone with the starter to have it tested?

EDIT: I just noticed that there is a loose wire coming off the starter relay. It's a smaller guage black wire coming off the back of the right post (not the main wire from that post, one that is clamped behind it). The other end goes to a small silver box right infront of the relay, and it looks like there was a casing or something for an inline fuse in the middle of the wire. (It broke at the fuse).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would also try jumping across the solenoid (on firewall) terminals with screwdriver.. if that makes it start OK, then the solenoid has a problem... I am not sure what the 'silver box' is, that you describe- but then, I'm not an expert, nor a mechanic- just a poor schmuck that stumbles through this stuff myself :)

Tight battery clamps are important.

karmana - that's how i've been starting it for now. I tried replacing the relay/solenoid, but it didn't fix anything. BTW, I think I figured out that the silver box I was talking about was the alternator regulator. I think.

I'm gonna go by the Ford dealership tomorrow to try and buy some replacement battery cables.

Hey had same exact problem, if you have tried evrything around the starter including the starter then you have a bad ground!

To test this theory, take you jumper cables and hook one to the mounting bolt and the other end to the frame, (a non painted and rust free part) if it cranks you have a bad ground, to fix simply put a piece of battery cable form the bolt to the frame and it will work, mine works fine now!

Would it be bad to keep starting it by jumping the relay? Because I'm in school right now and it's hard to find time to work on it.

Back