92 stock radio wiring......wheres the stock amp??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 stock radio wiring......wheres the stock amp???

mrmotorhead05

Reaction score
City, State
Garland, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
has anybody figured out where the stock amp is placed? im trying to add a radio and have finally figured there is an amp between the radio and the speakers. i'm guessing its a differential amplifier since the plug has 2 wires for each speaker. my 93 had a stock subwoofer in the right panel of the cargo area. but i never removed its radio.

anybody who has ideas or tips on this, please enlighten me

thanks,
Danny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ware the sub was in ur 93, remove the rear intirior panel, and it should be right there in the same place as ware the sub was, posibly a bitt further back, the only one i seen in amp in was my eddie bouer, it had the sub in it, but there was two amps back there, one for the sub and one for the speakers.

Its in the passenger side rear panel, ahead of the sub (if it exits) or junk compartment in the pannel. Don't try to rip out the junk bin, all the plastic tabs will be ripped off and it wont go back in.

You have to remove the panel, if its a 2 door you will have more fun (remove back seats and both seatbelts), if its a 4-door shouldn't be too bad. You're gonna need a t-50 (and a good quality one at that) to take out the seatbelt bolts. Pull back the floor carpet and there are 4 or so Phillips screws holding panel to floor, then 2 more moving up the back by the hatch, a bunch of christmas tree fasteners around the window, and the coat hook (and maybe a screw or 2 more, I forget, just look) You can get away with just removing the seatbelt pivot (the part at the top), but the panel will still be stuck to the wall by the belt. If you want to remove it all the way, make sure you go underneath and clean off and lubricate the seatbelt bolt that goes into the floor before you try to unscrew it.

Then you can splice wires into the factory speaker wiring and hook up the radio that way. There is enough space under the door sill to run the wires to the front. Don't use one of those stupid adapters that lets you hook the radio to the amp connector, it sounds like crap because the amp is a peice of garbage. I can get you a wiring diagram if you need it....

I own a 93 exploder with the upgraded radio system (HENCH A FACTORY AMP) the amp is located on the back fire wall near the top it is buried under there. when i removed the factory to replace it i just ended up using the setup and adaptor plugs in the kit. i would recommend leaving it alone cause all of your speakers are run throught the factory amp through the wiring harness then from the amp to the speakers. so if your wanting to bypass it then it is easier to just rewire it yourself.

yeah i got it all figured out, the new radio is pretty sweet............better than the factory one that went out: no left channel and only the AM worked, lol

Back