92 XLT lift/mod advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 XLT lift/mod advice

RyMac

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a 92 XLT 4x4 that I would like to lift and put larger tires on along with a brush guard. I am looking to do this as economicaly as possible due to a limited budget. I have thought of just a body lift and larger tires, but I dont know. This will mainly be for cosmetics. I'd like it to eventually be one mean looking truck. Any help or suggestions of products would be appriceated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much offroading do you do? If you are not doing alot of major offroading and you are on a limited budget, then go ahead and go for a bodylift. You are going to want more lift eventually though, so you may just want to save up a little more dough and do the suspension.

Just one word of advice, If you are going to do any modifications, do them the way you want the first time. In the end you if you aren't satisfied with the results, you will go out and get what you wanted the first time anyway. Mine wasn't an overnight build-up, but with patients( not from the wife either ), I was able to build what I wanted and saw in my ' vision-quest '. The ' Ultimate Explorer ?,.. not by a long shot, but I like it the way it is... at least for now.

BTW - post #400 for me! :bounce: OK, so I'm easily satisfied.

project cheap lift

Goober is right, do it right the first time. There are some mods you can make now that can give you some height and you can just add a suspension lift too later. First....you can look through here and find the posts on the hockey puck body lift. This will give you one inch. Second, you can order a set of Warrior Shackles for the rear....about 1-1 1/2 inches. You can use a front coil spacer to the front for another inch. The only manufacture I've found that makes this is DayStar...and they currently don't have any. I know of other people that are running numerous kinds of spacers, and haven't heard any bad reports. I had a couple of buddies fabricate me a set out of 4" stalk. I'll be putting them on this weekend, and I'll keep you posted. This all will give you about 2 inches of lift. Enough to run 31x10.50's. Mod will only run you about $50 and a little labor time. I have a suspension lift, and am running these mod's...minus the hockey puck body lift...I have a 2" P.A. I am very happy. With these, you won't have to worry about bumper moving, steering extensions, or empty pocket book.

I did the same thing with my 92 eb. I would say go with a set of helper springs and air shocks in the rear and a a two inch spacer to go under the front springs, i have even seen a stack of washers used for spacers. You might need to have it aligned after changing the height of the front. Be really sure before purchasing a body lift, it may be wise to go straight for the suspension lift. I put a body lift on and ended up taking it off after 6 months and went with a 5.5" superlift. The body lift ended up being a waste of about 14 hours of my time puting it on and taking it back off. I did run 33 inch mudders with my 3 inch body lift, spacers, rear air shocks, and helper springs. I called it my $100 dollar Autozone Lift. Good luck.

Back