93 ex with NO EGR or DPFE ??

estan

Reaction score
City, State
raleigh, nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 eddie
Hello All,

I have read as many threads as I could find about the EGR and DPFE. From what I have read it seems that 93 was the first yr. they put the EGR and DPFE in the explorers. I have all the symptoms and the 332 code for bad EGR, but I have no EGR and DPFE!! Does anyone know if maybe its common for this? Maybe mine is a early 93 model? What do you do for rough idle on start-up when you have no EGR and DPFE?

Thanks,
Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no egr

Any Idea's?? Started it up this morning, same thing.... idle jumps up and down, up and down from 700 to 1000. But my 93 is not equiped with an EGR?

Thanks

History? How long has it done this? How long have you had the truck? Is it possible someone removed the EGR system? If you are getting and EGR code, then the computer expects there to be an EGR system. I would find it hard (but not impossible) to believe that it came from the factory equipped with a computer programmed for an EGR system, but not have an EGR system.
If we follow up on the hyposthesis that you got a very early '93 model, that was essentially the same as a late '92, it would also only have 1 O2 sensor instead of 2. How many working O2 sensors do you have?
On another line of thinking, are you certain of your trouble code interpretation?
Tough question you have here. I hope you get it figured out. I would double + triple check what you're doing, though. Something is being overlooked.

I too have a 1993 and it does not have EGR or DPFE. The early 1993 models did not have EGR and had R-12 as the A/C refigerant. Midway through the 1993 model year, Ford changed from R-12 to R-134A and added EGR to the Explorers.

Check to see if you have an early 1993 or later 1993 by checking the manufacturing date on the inside of the driver's door and looking at the sticker on the A/C unit to see if it states R-12 or R-134A. That should tell you which kind of 1993 it is and make it easier to help solve your problem.

no egr

Yes my 93 had r-12 for the AC and I have owned it from new. From what I have read the EGR is pretty noticable on the right side and I do not have one. I put headers on 9 yrs ago and it has a place for an EGR but it has a bolt in it for a block off. When I took the headers off there was no EGR on them. SO no what do I do with a ruff idle and a EGR code. I have read my post here about 92's and ruff idle and most said to check the fuel pressure regulator. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys for the help!

I didn't realize EGR's showed up midway through the '93 model year. For my own education, did these early '93's have one or two O2 sensors?
Have you ever changed computers and somehow got the wrong '93 computer?
It just floors me to think that you could have driven this thing off of the showroom floor with a computer that expects an EGR system but not having an EGR system installed. If nothing else, the check engine light should have been on when you drove it off the showroom floor and never gone off over the last 11-12 years.
Assuming this idle issue is a new thing, I would suggest that maybe you need to ignore the EGR code, and troubleshoot it other ways. Any other codes in the computer? Any KOER codes (other than EGR codes)?
Two things to do to check the fuel pressure regulator: 1) pull the vacuum line off the FPR and check for fuel in the vacuum line. If there's fuel in the vacuum line, the FPR diaphragm is leaking and you need a new FPR. 2) Hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and see what you find.

MrShorty said:
I didn't realize EGR's showed up midway through the '93 model year. For my own education, did these early '93's have one or two O2 sensors?

My 1993 has no EGR and has 2 O2 sensors.

same here, 2 O2's on my 93

I am getting a 172 code from the continuous memory that says: HEGO (HO2S) sensor fault/lean. I just replaced the O2 sensors 2 weeks ago with Bosch ones from AutoZone. Has anyone bought these and had problems with them from the start? I bought a same set of O2's 9 yrs ago and did good?

Thanks

Are you getting the same code during the KOER test?
Did you clear the continuous memory codes after replacing the sensors two weeks ago (in other words, is it possible it's an "old" code)?

Yes, I took the battery off for 15 min. after replacing them 2 weeks ago.

Check the KOER test then. O2 sensor codes can be among the most difficult to diagnose. Intermittent faults are more difficult than hard faults to diagnose. Combine the two (and intermittent O2 sensor fault) and you will have a lot of work diagnosing this properly. Continuous memory codes point to conditions that have occurred, but don't indicate one way or the other on whether the fault is currently present. KOER codes will tell you if the fault is present right now. If you get a pass code for the KOER test, then the fault is at least intermittent enough to be that much more difficult to diagnose. If the fault shows up in the KOER test (be sure to warm the engine/O2 sensor up before the test), then you can diagnose the fault based on current engine conditions rather than past conditions (if all of that rambling made sense to you).

Scott, the code 172 indicates the O2 sensor is picking up a lean condition on bank 1 (passenger side). This is a classic symptom of a vacuum leak; probably at an intake gasket. A vacuum leak will cause the poor and "hunting" idle. Try snugging up the intake manifold bolts and see if this affects the idle. If the bolts are tight, then you can confirm a gasket leak with a propane torch (unlit), or a can of starter fluid sprayed near the gasket. Do the test on the passenger side with the engine idleing.

The code 332 indicates "insufficient EGR flow", which you certainly will have with no EGR system present.... :D If the code dosen't light the CEL, I would ignore it.

Back