93 Explorer Driver Side Door Latch Malfunction | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer Driver Side Door Latch Malfunction

AustinM

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
The drivers door on my explorer has begun to have some issues. It has started to make an awful creaking sound as it's opened, and it doesn't want to close all the time. The latch will engage, but it won't close all the way, that weird awkward spot where the door is closed but not closed all the way. Even when the door closes, it makes a far different sound than when any of the other three doors close. It has started to do this a lot lately so I was looking for suggestions on what could be wrong and how to fix it, as well as how hard it might be to replace the door latch. Thanks for your time y'all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably need to replace the door strike. The nylon bushing is broken off.

DORMAN 38445

Or, old hinges with worn bushings causing the door to sag when open and not align properly when closing.

x2 on hinges, I've replaced them on both vehicles ('92 XLT & '94 Limited) both front doors, top and bottom. The bushings fail and need to be replaced. When they start to fail they take the nylon cover on the latch.

Back