'93 explorer, fixed camber, now it pulls to the right | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 explorer, fixed camber, now it pulls to the right

konstan

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer Sport
I got the 3 degrees camber bushing installed in the right wheel to correct the camber which was visibly tilted. I was quite happy to see the bubble in the level (magnetically attached to the rotor) center itself. Adjustment was done with the wheels UP in the air (on jackstands) -- is that correct?? When I put it back down, it showed a bit of negative camber.

Now the truck pulls to the right, quite noticeably.

Ball joints are all new in the front.

Did the "string alignment" again.

What am I missing?? How do I begin correcting this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and can anything else be broken

And what would cause the camber angle to get so 'bad' ? Worn coil springs? Am I going to just make it worse over time by putting in a larger angle bushing??

play in rotor

Maybe part of my problem is because there is some play in the rotor?

I noticed that after test driving, there is increased "camber". Jacked the wheel up again, and noticed that there is play. It is small, but significant enough that the bottom of the wheel sticks out after driving.

So, I guess, right now I am looking at replacing the wheel bearings (looks like there are 2 of them per wheel) and races and then property torquing the retaining nut...

next steps

Ok, so far I've been just kind of talking to myself, but now I really could use some answers and some help, so... feel free to share your wisdom.

1. The passenger front wheel has a small camber. You can tell with a level, not with a naked eye. The camber was much worse. I put in the biggest angle bushing I could find, 3 degrees.

2. The driver side wheel has 0 camber.

3. I replaced the ball joints and tie rods and drag link and all that last week.

4. I replaced the wheel bearings yesterday.

5. The truck pulls to the right very slightly.

Should I try to adjust the driver side wheel to match the passenger side (i.e. slight camber)?

Should I try to make sure both wheels have at least some small positive CASTER angle (i.e. behave like bicycle tires) ?

Fixed my pulling!

Ok here is what I had to to do fix this.

1. Adjusted the bushing on the driver side to have a small negative camber to match the camber on the passenger side. Basically, the passenger side, with my 3 degree bushing, improved somewhat but a small camber angle still remained (visible only with a level). I just matched it on the drivers side.

2. Adjusted both sides to have a small positive caster angle (like in a bicycle front fork), to encourage both wheels to "return to center".

3. Re-did the "string four wheel alignment" again.

I am fairly certain having done the wheel bearings on both sides helped. They were loose / worn.

The truck drives straight now. Yeah its probably a "ghetto" fix...

new coil springs

New front coil springs helped eliminate the remaining negative camber.
Rides like a new truck now!

you might want to ask one of the moderators to merge this thread with the other thread you have going since they are pretty much the same thing.

good idea... the reason i posted in both is for the benefit of those who would stumble upon these threads while searching for answers...

Back