93 Ford Explorer Issues- Please Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Ford Explorer Issues- Please Help

Reaction score
City, State
myrtle beachm sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Eddie Baur
I have a 1993 Ford Explorer Eddie Baur, 4.0 v6.

I am having some issues with my explorer, issues in which other members have posted similiar problems, but I have yet to read any set answers.

When the truck is started up, the idle fluctuates constantly. Even when the engine is warmed up and/or sitting at a red light. The check engine light, of course, stays lit. During acceleration, there is an evident loss of power. Gas mileage is terrible and after the vehicle is turned off, there is a strong odor of fumes.

When sitting at a traffic light, the idle revs up and down and there is a small amount of black smoke coming from the tailpipe.

Now, sometimes, the check engine light will go off when I am driving the vehicle, but once the light comes back on, there is a loud "clunk" under the truck.

I have inspected and cleaned the MAF air sensor, cleaned the air filter, cleaned the IAC valve, I have replaced the Cannister Purge Valve, and checked the vacuum lines. I replaced the PCV valve. I have yet to run any codes, because Advanced Auto Parts generally only run codes on vehicles newer then 1995. Could it be the spark plugs or wires? Whats causing the gas odor? Fuel too rich?

Please help! Include any diagnosis or ways I can fix this myself.

Thanks so much!
JEFF WHITEIS
jeffw@covertsciences.com
cop0023@hotmail.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first thing you need to do is get the code read. Our AutoZones here in MO will do it for our OBD-I trucks for free.

If you cannot/will not get the code, you'll have to take the shot-in-the-dark approach.

In your case, based on what you've posted, I'd *guess* that the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) is bad, among other things. Your best resource is to do a search of this site for FPR and fuel pressure regulator.

Changing the plugs and wires will not hurt, and it's cheap and easy.

Finally, the O2 sensors could be gone. Your 93 should have 2 O2 sensors, one on each pipe. If your FPR is bad, it's probably fouled your O2 sensors as well.

Your best thing to do is search for those terms on this site, and read all about them here--and that gives you a great starting point.

Code scanners for OBD-I Fords aren't that expensive. I paid $20 for mine. It's paid for itself many times over (mainly with my Mustang SVO). Get the code read somehow before you throw more money at it.

I agree with the other members responces here. First thing, get the code(codes) read so that you will have a starting point. If you are smelling fumes, then more than likely the fuel pressure regulator is going, or is, bad. Pop the hood and smell around the middle of the engine bay, I bet that is where the fumes smell is coming from since you already replaced the purge valve. The FPR is located to the right of the oil fill tube. It has a hard fuel line running into the top of it and a couple of vaccum lines running into it as well. Do a search of the forums and you will find out how to replace it. Mine has 112K on it now, hasn't gone out yet, but I am going to replace it in the near future along with the O2 sensors as they are all stock and are a common source of check engine lights and the poor running conditions sometimes associated with them. Hope this helps. :)

I'd also search a bit more. These problems have been covered, & have answers depending on what codes you get.

Did You Check All Your Vacumm Hoses, I Had The Same Thing Happen And It Was A Vacum Hase On The Right Side Of The Motor

Yep get the codes checked, they will do it on your '93.

I would also lean towards the FPRC and vacuum lines. Have you noticed if your vacuum lines are soft?

Problem Followup - Another Question

In regards to my inquiry above...

I just noticed that my air conditioner is not working. Only blowing out warm air. Sometimes, it will get a little cool, but no where near what it needs to be.

Could this be an additional problem because of the issues I was having (that I noted in my aforementioned post)

Because of the problems that are occuring now, could this be something I can fix? What could be causing my AC not to work? I know there could be alot of reasons why, but I just wasnt sure if it was because of the current problem with the idle and power loss.

PLEASE ADVISE!

JEFF

Back