• Register Today It's free!

93 SAS/ 351 swap

Rustybuttrusty98

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
When I got my 93 ex it came with a parts one and I'm going to be doing a SAS with some axles off of a 77-79 F-250 ranger but I'm not entirely sure if the axles I'm going to use are D44 or D60's. My grandpa was building his 79 F-250 ranger for mud and he bought a parts one to take the engine out of, and while talking to him yesterday he told me I could have the axles that were on it. What I'd like to do is take the axles and put them under my parts explorer to build a mud truck but I'm not sure how much fab work will be needed to do this. also, there's a 351W out of an early 90's F150 that is sitting in his shop with s fresh rebuild but nothing to go in so I'm also wondering how hard it'd be to put that in? I don't care about not having a trans that'll work with that engine because again, my grandpa has a brand new 5 speed manual that will work on the 351 and he even has a transfer case for that trans . One of the awesome things about having a grandpa who starts stuff but doesn't dinish them; LOTS of parts lying around his yard/shop

Hey Rusty what part of BC you in ???
There are lots of SAS threads on here so do some searching and get some ideas. a first gen is easy to do the SAS on if you go coils up front I would narrow the axles... the 351 swap should be easy enough like I said do some digging around and see what others have done... Good luck...

R...

I wish somebody would give me all the stuff to build my ex up...

The f250 axles you have should be a Dana 60 rear(probably a full floater) and an HD Dana 44 front(basically a regular 44 with 8 lug stuff from the knuckles out).

As far as the swaps go, like Styx said you can probably find all your info here by searching. Are you going with a carburetor or fuel injection? Sounds like a lot of fun, so take some pictures for us!

-Jake

Back