• Register Today It's free!

94 351 swap questions

Roadrunner440

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
hey i was thinking of slowly making my 94 XLT into a trail truck so i wanted to rebuild an old 351 and cam it for lots of low end torque and cram that in but i wanna know how much body/frame work it takes and what accesories i'll lose.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also i do have a 1977 Plymouth 440 (7.2L) which would be great for the big block torque but what are the chances i could wedge it in?

Search. Read. Repeat.

There are plenty of people who have done engine swaps, but I can only recall a few 351 swaps... but read up on the 302 and you can see what's involved with a V8 swap... and just think, the engine you want to put it is even bigger.

Just slap on the 302 5.0L block and regear everything down as much as you can - that way, it doesnt matter where max torque is on the RPM band because a gear combo will get you there. And 7.2L would be a boat anchor on the trail and would just lead to more problems - there is a reason why people like the 1.6L Suzuki Samurais for the trail ...

Possible. There will be steering and HVAC box clearance issues and you could only really go with stock manifolds.

ok ya i didnt think my 440 would fit i was just checkin. and ill go read up on that 302, and ya i figured there would be steering issues. there always is. thanks guys

Back