• Register Today It's free!

'93 X stalls after it warms up

daslowmoses

Reaction score
City, State
Clermont, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 X
Sorry for the long post, just wanted to include as much as possible.

Hello, I'm working on a relatives early `93 explorer (no egr) that stalls after it warms up. Rough idle, bouncy rpm's & likes to lunge forward before it stalls when in d. Will stay running w/ partial throttle. Pings, misses, hesitates under acceleration. Checked & changed the plugs (wrong plugs were installed about 6 months ago along w/ correct new wires), all plugs were about the same in condition; dry, black & covered in soot. Most of the time it spews black smoke & moisture out of the tailpipe when on the throttle & I've also seen fumes coming out of it while at idle. The muffler itself seems to radiate smoke, maybe there’s a hole in it somewhere but it just seems to be radiating through. I tightened down the intake manifold, cleaned the maf, iac, throttle body. vac lines look good, no bubbling from the radiator & oil looks fine. I'm about to run some seafoam through it. I tested the tps sensor, but only tested it at idle & got the .94 reading I was looking for. Is there any reason to run it through a range test or a different wire.

I just figured out how to pull the codes & got KOEO 159(MAF out of range) & CM 157(MAF signal low or grounded). KOER 116(engine coolant temp sensor out of range), 137 (O2 sensor not switching-system rich left or front HO2S- Fuel Control), & 538(no goose). I tried to heat up the engine for about 5 mins before the tests but I didn't want to go to long where it wouldn't make it through the test. I tried these tests numerous times to get the rhythm down, I tried to get the goose test each time. I think I got it once because I didn't get the 538 code, but I didn't get any other codes either besides the 116 & 137. I tried getting the cylinder balance test but it never took, never noticed anything, maybe this isn't a SEFI model; is it?. I got the negative disconnected now to see what codes come up after I reconnect.

I've been looking on this site just as much as I've been working on the truck, maybe more. I now need to find how to test the maf & O2 sensor. I'm also interested in the fpr & how to test it w/o a fuel pressure gauge. One question; why is there a ~2" hose connecting the pass exhaust manifold into the intake box, when do you want hot air in an engine?? What controls that? I want to disconnect it. I've also got some other ideas like fan clutch & some others. The mileage shows 80k, it seems like its 180 or 280 though but I think whatever problem they had before got a lot worse w/ the wrong plugs in it for the last 6 months. Thanks for all your help I've already found searching through this forum.

I just pulled the vac line on the fpr & found fluid inside of it. I picked a new one up from autozone along w/ a new fuel filter & pressure gauge. I got one new problem now though, whats this I broke. It goes between the throttle body & a vent canister on the drivers side fender that has a hose coming out of it going to a fuel line. Autozone says they dont stock it & dealership is closed now. How will the truck operate if this part is unplugged & I just reconnect the vac/ vent tubes to each other. I want to replace the other parts I have but will I have issues because of this part being disconnected? How much will it be at the dealer? Is the autozone guy correct that they wouldn't carry that part? Thanks

IMG_2996.jpg

Before I changed the fpr I decided to try out my new fuel pressure gauge. Initially it was reading about 30lbs then suddenly jumped up to around 70lbs & sat there. I changed the fpr & then retested & it maintained 35lbs. It did stall though which I was hoping it wouldn't but maybe thats just because of that vac/vent tube that is missing the part in the pic above, I just taped the two tubes together for now. Will continue on it tomorrow after work.

Thats the evaporative system solenoid (purge flow canister solenoid). If I remember correctly It between between the evap system can and the intake and allows fuel vapors to go into the engine. W/out the solenoid there you might be getting too much fuel, but I'm not sure if that is what is happening... but one of those lines is a vacuum lines and will cause problems if it isn't plugged.

fastpartsnetwork.com should have it if you can't find it.

~Mark

Back