The truck won't stay running when the motor is cold. It runs fine after it warms up. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The truck won't stay running when the motor is cold. It runs fine after it warms up.

nbarrera_013

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Eddie
Hi I have ford explorer 1997 i got it three months ago now that is a cold wheater my truck wont stay running without me pressing the gas once is warm runs fine i already change the idle air control valve it did not help i am stuck on this

PS it starts and it rev it up then shuts off

Please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Intake manifold gasket has my vote too. Ford replaced some sort of solenoid valve first, but once they did the gasket, I've had a smooth running engine ever since.

clean as many parts as you can, maf iac, then you'll realize you need intake gaskets. It happens to us all.

Well this last weekend me my friend took apart the intake and clean it check the gasket and did not find any thing wrong still nothing and yes i do have a check engine light it just gave out the TPS and the two oxygen sensor that reports is running lean i change the TPS and put a fuel injector cleaner still nothing i dont know what to do oh yeah also clean the mass air flow sensor too

Well this last weekend me my friend took apart the intake and clean it check the gasket and did not find any thing wrong still nothing and yes i do have a check engine light it just gave out the TPS and the two oxygen sensor that reports is running lean i change the TPS and put a fuel injector cleaner still nothing i dont know what to do oh yeah also clean the mass air flow sensor too

You checked the gaskets? Or you REPLACED the gaskets?

i check and they look like they just replace them like i said i just got this truck three months ago so i thinking the person that sold it to me already knew what was wrong with it

i check and they look like they just replace them like i said i just got this truck three months ago so i thinking the person that sold it to me already knew what was wrong with it

The gasket set is only $15+tax here at Autozone for Felpro gaskets... I would still recommend replacing them, and making sure you torque the bolts back down to spec, and in correct order (from the center outward).

yeah thats what i thinking i am going to do just to make sure is not that but you dont think it could be the ECT sensor

welcome

What did you do about the 2 bad O2 sensors?

i did not do anything because i dont think that will affect the truck plus i dont think both sensor gone bad at the same time

Its the intake manifold gaskets. They are so cheap that they are worth replacing. If you pulled the intake manifold I would have just replaced them anyways, no gasket should be reused.

well i going to try do that this weekend hopefully it works i let yall know if it did

Thank Yall For Your Help

i finally got to change the intake manifold gasket this weekend and after being sitting the truck for 4 hours with temperature 42 degrees it started like nothing this was the first time it started normal since i had the truck THANK YALL ALL

i finally got to change the intake manifold gasket this weekend and after being sitting the truck for 4 hours with temperature 42 degrees it started like nothing this was the first time it started normal since i had the truck THANK YALL ALL

Excellent! Glad you got your truck running great again :)

I appreciate the information. My '97 Ranger was giving me the same issues as his Explorer was and I think that may the problem with my truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i see it mentioned that replacing the intake gasket will solve this problem. (Mine just developed this problem too) which upper or lower or both?

Back