93 XLT All of a sudden won't start! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 XLT All of a sudden won't start!

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
I had posted earlier today in the 1st gen forum about my wife's 93 XLT and the issues I was having with Auto 4wd. So I get home and I have to run some errands, so I figure i'd take the 93 (had to gas it up anyway). So I go outside, starts right up all's good. Go to the gas station, CVS, and the supermarket; starts up fine each time I get in to start it. Go home, park it, go inside for about 30min and come back out to take it to go get pizza (and to do some more testing on the auto hubs) and i turn the key to on, I hear the fuel pump turn on, turn the key to start and all I get is "Click" like it wants to turn over, and then nothing, even if I hold the key in the start position.

I initially thought bad battery, but I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I had no problems with it at all 30min earlier. The starter was replaced less then 2 years ago, along with the alternator. Of course I don't have a jump box or jumper cables, so I can't try and jump it till tomorrow.

What should I be looking for? I'd hate to leave my wife with no vehicle tomorrow...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the cold and all, my first bet is also on battery. Borrow a jumper cable from a neighbor.

With the cold and all, my first bet is also on battery. Borrow a jumper cable from a neighbor.

hahaha.... The neighbors can go rot in hell. The neighbors to the right of us thought it'd be funny to spread rumors about my wife and my stepdaughters, and then proceeded to convince our neighbors to the LEFT that my wife and stepdaughters are satans little helpers.... This is why we can't wait to move :D

My mom has a jump box, but why would it be charged OR she be at home so I can get it from her car...

I get paid tomorrow so I'm gonna pick up a set of cables or maybe a jump box if I can find a good sale.

... are satans little helpers....
LOL that sounds fun! I'd take advantage of that ..

But yeah it definitely sounds like a battery issue -- you can temporarily swap the battery from your Mountaineer into the Explorer. If the Explorer starts with the Mountaineer's battery, then the Explorer's battery is dead.

if you tried jumping it and it didnt work,check on the passanger side inside fender once the hood is open,its kinda behind the battery for the starter solenoid,sometimes they stick,,its held on by 2 bolts and has 2 wires on it

Check the battery terminal clamps. Take them off and clean them and then try it. You may have a bad connection right there. Had plenty of cars with the same things as you described, clean the terminals and connections and all was good.

You can also remove the battery and take it to some place like autozone and get it checked for free. I would check the terminals and the solenoid on the fender then try to jump it first though, those things will narrow down the problem.

I had this same thing happen, though mine ended up being a bad starter. Since yours was replaced two years ago, that's not very likely.

Battery issue. Got a jump box today, hooked it up and she fired right up.

Battery issue. Got a jump box today, hooked it up and she fired right up.

what you want to do now it take the battery to be charged, or act as if you are jumping in, but let the charger sit on it for like 20mins before starting a car.

its easy to jump a car, but the battery will still be dead.

Back