• Register Today It's free!

94 2WD front ABS sensors

KevinB

Reaction score
City, State
Clay City, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 2WD
Hello everyone. This is my first post. We have a 94 2WD Explorer, and a mechanic has told us that both of the front ABS sensors are bad. My son did not have the money for the repair when the problem was diagnosed, and now that he does, the original mechanic that made the diagnosis is unavailable.

He made it sound like it would be a REALLY big problem to find a parts store that has the sensors, and an equally big deal to change them. I have found the sensors at NAPA, and was wondering what was involved in changing them. Thanks,

Kevin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure both sensor are gone? They usually run $45 each. The sensors are held in place with 2 bolts. One for the sensor protector, and the other for the sensor. Once the sensor is unbolted you can bang it out. The sensors are basically a magnetic pickup that detects the teeth on the tone ring (which looks like a big gear pressed onto the rotor). If the sensor is bad, or covered in metal debris it will become blind and indicate wheel lock up, when none has occurred.

fyi..if he ABS light is on it indicates the ABS computer detected a fault in the ABS brake system and that ABS braking is disabled. Normal braking is not affected, just the ABS brake pulse during a true wheel lock up condition.

Steering_knuckle_labels_WEB.jpg

The wire in in the pic below is part of the ABS sensor.
205Restored_Steering_knuckle_ready_for_install_low.jpg

I have not verified that both sensors are bad, just going on what the mechanic told us. He changed the one in the differential and said that both front sensors were bad also. How do I test them? The truck has almost 200K on it and they have never been replaced. Thanks,

Kevin

Anyone know how to tell if either or both front ABS sensors are bad?
Thanks,

Kevin

A shop would plug in a scan tool (similar to reading computer codes) into the ABS port which would run a diagnostic and be able to tell if the sensors are working. I assume you could figure some way to tell using a Multi-Meter, but I have never investigated it.

BTW is there a problem in how the vehicle currently brakes, or are you just trying to fix the yellow ABS light? As mentioned earlier if the Yellow ABS light is on it only means that ABS braking is disabled (ie the ABS computer will not cycle the solenoids in the HCU to pulse the brakes).

Hi, I know information of how test the 4wabs, is similar to EEC-IV test, with one volmeter and a jumper, moreover I have the codes and probale cause, electric diagram, resistance values and connector description

Hi, I know information of how test the 4wabs, is similar to EEC-IV test, with one volmeter and a jumper, moreover I have the codes and probale cause, electric diagram, resistance values and connector description

You should post that information for us to see. ;)

You should post that information for us to see. ;)

Of course, but I can't upload th file to the forum, if you can tell me your email I send the info...

Back