'94 exp - problems removing EGR tube from EGR valve...help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'94 exp - problems removing EGR tube from EGR valve...help!

Reaction score
City, State
Redding, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport 2WD 6Cyl 4.0L
hey so I've been messing with this for awhile and I'm at a loss. I've been trying to remove my egr valve to clean it, don't want to remove the whole egr valve+egr tube assembly, which would require disconnecting the egr tube from the exhaust manifold...which, I've heard, is a REALLY big pain. these parts are definitely rusty....

the manual says it's as easy as:
1). Disconnect the EGR valve to exhaust manifold tube (9D477) from the EGR external pressure valve.
2). Remove the EGR valve retaining bolts and the EGR external pressure valve from the upper intake manifold.

(so, leave the valve attached to the intake manifold while removing the tube from it).

and then when reinstalling the EGR valve it mentions...
1). Position EGR external pressure valve, with a new EGR valve gasket, onto upper intake manifold and install retaining bolts.
2). Connect the EGR valve to exhaust manifold tube to the EGR external pressure valve. Tighten EGR valve to exhaust manifold tube nut to 34-47.5 N-m (25-35 ft-lb).

so, apparently there's a nut. here are some pics of what the valve/tube connection point looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_mccloud/3478814065/sizes/o/in/set-72157614909858640/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_mccloud/3479621764/sizes/o/in/set-72157614909858640/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_mccloud/3481021170/sizes/l/in/set-72157614909858640/

referring to the last photo, I've been torquing what I THINK is the nut, outlined in red. Tried the little hex thing circled in green, but it won't accept any hex key size that I've seen sold out there right now...SAE or metric. SAE 7/64" is just too small and the next step up (1/8") is too big. Metric 2.5mm is too small, 3mm too big. So it appears to be either between 7/64" (2.778125mm) and 3mm, OR it's been stripped a bit and not holding the correct size.

anybody tried this on a '94 explorer and know what to do? What should I be torquing...any ideas as to how to break this thing loose?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

interesting, all the photos I see of the EGR valve as it's sold from auto parts stores:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_mccloud/3481257824/sizes/o/in/set-72157614909858640/

in comparison to mine...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_mccloud/3481021170/sizes/l/in/set-72157614909858640/

outlined in green is the same area that's outlined in green on mine. except...there's no bolt/hex screw in this as you buy it...so maybe that comes separately or in the box or...I dunno. I would think that hex screw would come with the valve, NOT the EGR tube...oh and another difference between all the EGR valves for my car at Autozone and Kragen are that they both have two holes surrounded in green whereas mine only has the one hex screw (surrounded in green).

I do believe what is outlined in red is the nut required to remove the EGR valve, good luck!

@dcu - thanks!

yeah that's the nut I have to break loose to disconnect the tube from the valve. Autozone said that nut REALLY seizes up over time with all the super hot, cold, cycles an engine goes through....it's mostly the color of rust but isn't flaky, falling apart rust. I got some PB Blaster (http://blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=4) and I'm gonna try that in another week when I have some more time. supposed to be amazing stuff. that plus a breaker bar may be necessary, they said.

New EGR valve questions

@ dizzy,

Did you ever figure out what the two smaller holes in the side of the new EGR valve were for? Is there supposed to be a cover screwed onto this area to seal off the holes

New EGR valve questions

@ dizzy,

Did you ever figure out what the two smaller holes in the side of the new EGR valve were for? Is there supposed to be a cover screwed onto this area to seal off the holes?

Just curious because I just replaced mine as well and I can here exhause pssssssing out of the larger of the two holes when I hit the throttle and i don't remember this sound from before.

I can help they did a mid-year change on the EGR Valve...I had the same problem You have to buy the 1995 EGR Valve....It doesnt have the holes in it...

@dcu - thanks!

yeah that's the nut I have to break loose to disconnect the tube from the valve. Autozone said that nut REALLY seizes up over time with all the super hot, cold, cycles an engine goes through....it's mostly the color of rust but isn't flaky, falling apart rust. I got some PB Blaster (http://blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=4) and I'm gonna try that in another week when I have some more time. supposed to be amazing stuff. that plus a breaker bar may be necessary, they said.

Seizes up is a HUGE understatement for that nut. I broke my EGR tube off because it was so rusty when working with the EGR valve. I was under my Explorer with a good sized wrench wrapped around that nut and it took a good bit of work even with PB Blaster. AFTER I got that nut out I realized the treads of the nut had stripped off and were still inside the manifold. I had to go to a local machine shop and I was very lucky the gentleman let me borrow his tap (I forget the sizing)(when I priced it about 6 months ago it was $60+) and trusted me to bring it back so I was very fortunate. Then I had to go to the Ford house and get a new nut, so be prepared...this was with a engine with 240k miles.

blowing out of these 2 holes should that be happening?

blowing out of these 2 holes should that be happening?

If you're talking about those bottom 2 left holes...no, there is supposed to be a plug that goes in one and there is a screw that screws in the other to hold that plug in. The plug is a dealer only item and is easily broke because its a casted metal(broke mine pulling it off the old egr valve). The rest of the holes should have bolts and hoses connected to them.

i just replaced that tube in my 94 navajo and it was way easyer then i thought it would be and your tourqing on the right thing a good set of long wrenches does wonders

EGR Valve Bypass Test Plug... thanks

EGR Valve holes

An alternative to buying the plug & screw from the Ford parts department is to JB Weld the holes to plug them up. I did this on mine & it works just fine. Just make sure not to get any of it internally in the hole that goes to the diaphragm.

My first time using JB-Weld. I didn't let it dry before applying, so it was a little runny. Just out of curiosity, what exactly would happen if a little JB-Weld gets inside the EGR-valve hole? It's probably dripping down the inside a tiny bit. Is there a chance of pieces of it breaking off and causing damage?

Back