Any difficulty removing the EGR tube from the valve? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any difficulty removing the EGR tube from the valve?

SyberTiger

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
For anyone who has changed their EGR valve I was curious to know if you had difficulty removing the EGR valve. I assume you remove the EGR tube first while the valve is bolted to the throttle bottle. Is there any risk of damaging the tube while trying to remove it from the valve?

When installing your new EGR valve do you put anything on the threads of the tube nut? What are the torque spec for the two bolts that hold the valve onto the TB?

2002 4.6L V-8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't replace my EGR, I just took it out and cleaned it. I believe it's purely mechanical and rarely fails (quite expensive too)
Yes you need to disconnect it first from the EGR tube (or exhaust) while it's bolted to the TB body since it's really tight. You don't want to twist the tube since it's a PITA to replace that tube once it's broken/leak. I once saw a guy from the Ford Dealership buying a new tube since he broke it and it's expensive and dealer item only. I used a new EGR gasket and just hand tighten it, didn't put any teflon or sealer on the tube threads.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

I don't know what's up with that gasket. But a genuine Motorcraft gasket (CG682) is around $18 on Amazon, $36 at the Ford stealer, and $3 at the local O'Reilly. Like I said, all three are genuine Motorcraft gaskets. I wonder why there's such a big discrepancy.

EDIT: It would appear that the "expensive gaskets" are actually packs of 10 gaskets.

For anyone who has changed their EGR valve I was curious to know if you had difficulty removing the EGR valve. I assume you remove the EGR tube first while the valve is bolted to the throttle bottle. Is there any risk of damaging the tube while trying to remove it from the valve?

When installing your new EGR valve do you put anything on the threads of the tube nut? What are the torque spec for the two bolts that hold the valve onto the TB?

2002 4.6L V-8

I'm interested in this as I will be pulling/cleaning my EGR when I replace my intake manifold. Be sure to let us know if you run into any problems or find any tricks to removing it.

Subscribed :)

I'd really like to get behind that EGR valve to clean back there and clean the gunk out in the TB as well as the EGR valve. I just took a crescent wrench to the EGR tube. It would appears to be held on with a 1 1/16" nut. I put quit a bit of force on it. It will not turn. I had sprayed PB Blaster on the nut threads the night before. Any suggestions?

Thanks for this tips. The big 1 1/16" nut broke loose after some more persuasion. Since there are some rubber hoses in the area I didn't use the propane torch. Rather, I used a heat gun to heat it up. Then I sprayed more PB Blaster on the nut threads. As the nut cooled it probably helped to draw in some of the PB Blaster. I let it sit another few hours before trying to crank on it. I picked up a big mongo 1 1/16" inch wrench from Harbor Freight that gave me much more leverage than a standard crescent wrench. Once it broke loose you could just about loosen the nut the rest of the way by hand.

Here's the followup. As I indicated, the EGR tube nut broke loose and threaded out the rest of the way with just finger pressure. The two bolts that actually hold on the EGR valve were good and tight but came out without problem with a 10mm socket on a 3/8" drive wrench. The old gasket was pretty much non-existent or crumbled when the valve came out. When you take off the EGR valve you should make sure you already have a new gasket in hand.

The EGR valve looked like it had some minor crude in it. Really not as bad as I would have thought. Just spray it down with TB cleaner. It is hard to clean into the throttle body's EGR port hole when the EGR valve is off because all you have is just a 1/2" hole. I just sprayed a bunch of TB cleaner into the hole and twisted part of a clean rag into the hole. That is pretty much it. Then I just put it all back together.

I just broke my EGR tube swapping out the intake manifold. dealer wants $125-150 just for the tube lol. I am going to mickey mouse some piping to fix it. I attempted to unthread the EGR from the tube, used a torch since it was out, it wont budge. Damn New England salty air!

Definitely not a lot of wiggle room with it, so anyone working on it or around it should be very careful.

Back