94 Explorer codes 332, 565 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer codes 332, 565

Artistik

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4.0
My 94 Explorer's engine light has been on for a while, but seemed to be running okay until the last few days. Two codes pop up: 332-EGR valve opening not detected and 565-Canister Purge circuit failure. Afraid to just change the EGR valve because of all of the other things these forums say it could be instead and I can't find either of these things! I have the 4.0 and the picture in the Haynes manual does not look the same as mine. I am no mechanic either, but I am unemployed and have no choice but to do this myself. HELP! Thanks and God Bless!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was the 332 DTC KOEO (Key On, Engine Off) memory code or KOER (Key On, Engine Running) hard code?

Reason I ask is because there are different diagnostic routes depending on if it was a memory or hard code.

Here's the routine for 332 KOER, memory code on next post:

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 332 indicates the Pressure Feedback EGR (PFE) / Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) did not change when the PCM output a duty cycle to the EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) solenoid requesting EGR flow. Possible causes are:

Icing
Obstructed EGR passages
Vacuum hose leaks.
Obstructed vacuum hoses.
Damaged EVR solenoid.
Damaged PFE/DPFE sensor.
Damaged EGR valve.
Damaged PCM.
Key "OFF".
Disconnect and inspect vacuum hose between EVR solenoid and EGR valve for blockage, kinks, etc. Service as necessary and reconnect after inspection.
Disconnect vacuum hose at EGR valve and connect hose to a vacuum gauge.
Rerun Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test while observing vacuum gauge.
Is vacuum reading less than 3kPa (1 in-Hg) throughout the test (disregard DTC output)?

Yes -- Remove vacuum gauge. Go to DL31.
No -- Remove vacuum gauge. Reconnect EGR valve vacuum hose. RERUN Quick Test if the vacuum hose was not in good condition and service was completed.

DL31
Key "OFF".
Disconnect source vacuum hose at EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) solenoid and connect hose to a vacuum gauge.
Start the engine and let it idle while observing the vacuum gauge.
Is vacuum above 15 inches at idle?

Yes -- Inspect vacuum hose from EVR Solenoid to EGR valve. If OK, replace EVR solenoid. Rerun quick test.

No -- Replace the vacuum line connecting EVR solenoid to source vacuum. Rerun quick test.

This is what the EVR (EGR Vacuum Regulator) looks like:
evr.gif

Key on, engine off (Autozone) I don't have a hose vaccuum gauge either. Are they expensive? Can you rent one?

DTC 332 Memory Code

NOTE: This test step verifies if the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is due to an intermittent or a hard fault.
Perform Key On Engine Off (KOEO) and Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test if you have not already done so and make note of all codes received in KOEO, continuous Memory and KOER modes.
If unable to run KOER due to a "No Start" or "Stall," do not continue with this step, but go directly to DL101.

If an EGR fault exists at the time of this test (hard fault), then an EGR DTC should also be received in KOEO or KOER or both depending on the DTC. If the EGR DTC is NOT received in KOEO or KOER but only retrieved from Continuous Memory, this could be due to an intermittent EGR system fault which occurred sometime in the past.
Are there any DTCs output in KOEO or KOER Self-Test (ignore Continuous Memory DTC's at end of KOEO)?

Yes -- A hard fault is indicated. Refer to the Diagnostic Trouble Code charts.
No -- An intermittent fault is indicated. Go to DL91

DL91
Key "OFF".
Conduct a thorough visual inspection of the Pressure Feedback EGR (PFE) / Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) system for any potential failures. Use the following check list for possible causes:
Obvious physical damage.
Loose connectors.
Pushed out connector pins.
Corroded connector contacts.
Damaged wiring insulation.
Incorrect harness routing.
Incorrect component mounting.
Road salt or rust accumulation.
Damaged vacuum hoses.
Incorrect vacuum hose routing.
EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) solenoid filter contamination.
Vacuum hose restriction.
Road splash or icing.
Incorrect service parts.
Does the EGR system visual inspection reveal a potential failure?

Yes -- Service fault as necessary. Clear continuous memory.
No -- Reconnect all components. Go to DL92.

DL92 directs you to a set of code definitions which includes 332 KOER (DL105).
DL105
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 332 Pressure Feedback EGR (PFE) / Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE)

Possible Causes:

EGR valve sticking closed.
EGR valve diaphragm leaks.
EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) solenoid sticking closed.
Loss of vacuum to or from EVR.
Open in EVR VPWR or driver circuits.
Leak or restriction in PFE/DPFE signal hoses.
Key "OFF".
Connect a vacuum pump to the EGR valve.
While observing the EGR valve, slowly apply 34 kPa (10 in Hg) vacuum.
NOTE: EGR valve should begin to open with a small amount of vacuum, 3 to 5 kPa (1 to 1.5 in Hg), and be fully open with about 13 kPa (4 in Hg). EGR valve should remain open with vacuum applied. Diaphragm could be leaking if the valve closes immediately.
Does the EGR valve open smoothly and hold vacuum?

Yes --Go to DL106.
No -- Remove and Inspect the EGR valve for signs of diaphragm damage or leakage, contamination, unusual wear, carbon deposits, binding, and other damage. Service as necessary. Clear continuous memory.

If you follow the steps and you need to go to DL106, go back to my first post and that's DL106. If the EGR valve doesn't open and hold vacuum, you'll probably need to replace the EGR valve which will normally run in the neighborhood of $50+.

EDIT:

Vacuum gauges aren't too expensive to buy, but Autozone should have one available for rental.

As for DTC 565 - you WILL need a digital multimeter and at least a basic understanding of automotive electrical systems to be able to troubleshoot that one since you'll need to be able to read wiring diagrams and measure resistance.

When and if you think you're ready for this one, let me know and I'll post the routine along with the associated wiring diagrams and connector pin-outs.

DTC 565 shouldn't be causing your engine to stop running, as it just purges fuel vapor from the canister into the engine to be burned. You could theoretically "purge" the canister yourself by just removing the Fuel Vapor Canister Purge Regulator Valve and splicing the vacuum lines together, but it would still throw a code.

So, I am getting error codes for the EGR, also.

I was going to troubleshoot this, and I could not find an EGR Valve or the solenoid anywhere on the engine, so I decided to search and found this forum.

According to the diagrams designation of these parts, I have NO EGR.

ford001.jpg

Is there another location for this.

Edit.... The wiring harness' that are hanging unconected there are for the EGR (2 pin Red / Brown and Pink) not sure yet what the other ones is for, verified this off of AutoZones wiring diagram on there site.

How could this be that the engine doesn't have an EGR or any of its components, doesn't have a hole plugged on the exhaust manifold, but still is pulling a code for EGR Code 327: EGR Feedback Low.

My codes are as followed:

On the first sets of codes:
327: EGR Feedback is low.
565: Canister Purge 1 Solenoid Failure

Then on the second sets of codes:
172: O2 Sensor
173: O2 Sensor
186: Indicator Pulse Width longer then expected or Mass Air Flow (MAF) lower then expected - Fuel Control
214: Error in cylinder ID
327: EGR Feedback is/ was low

Please take note these codes were pulled with a cold engine truck hasn't ran all weekend.

Back