• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer sport clutch problems

wanab4x4

Reaction score
City, State
san diego ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 sport 2 door
i have a 94 explorer sport 4wd with M5od..

the problem is . i have a new clutch new slave and new master cylinder for the clutch.. the clutch is bled fine.. the problem is its to dam hard.. its like a rock to shift .. do they make any good replace ment parts or what upgrades do they have for it ? im thinkin about tossing the 5 speed for a automatic cause i cannot crawl with the clutch like this.
P022311004.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From my experience, it's mismatched parts that does it. The 91-92, 93-97, and 98-01 master/slave/clutches are interchangeable...but probably best only as a complete system. Cheap manufacturers, part stores, and even Ford dealers that just want to sell you a part even if it's not the actual correct one for your particular year will throw a 91-92 master in with a 98-01 slave and then you're using it with a 93-97 hydraulic line.

Aftermarket parts don't seem to do too well in terms of the clutch hydraulics, either.

The only real "upgrade" is using the 98-01 parts, which are ever so slightly revised over the 93-97 stuff, but even those were improved over the factory stuff.

The only thing you can really do is research part numbers before you buy and be sure you're getting the right stuff for a 93-97 system (or a 98-01 if you replace it all). If you throw 91-92 stuff on there, that can lead to issues like a heavy clutch too.

Other than that, install makes a big difference, as in not shoving the tranny in there and getting the clutch/pressure plate binding on the input shaft, bending anything, having incorrectly or untorqued bolts on the flywheel, pressure plate, etc. or any of that. Using something other than DOT 3/4 fluid in the system can do it too. Bleeding helps a lot, even doing it 50 times just to get out 2 tiny air bubbles seems to affect disengagement.

The clutch/slave system on these is pretty poor, but it's worth it when you get it right and everything works smooth...for about 50-100K.

so what about the automatics?? what automatics are good for the explorers and what would fit the transfercase ?

so what about the automatics?? what automatics are good for the explorers and what would fit the transfercase ?
None........

I will say the X likes Ford slaves for some reason. Aftermarket slaves are very hit or miss.
I have a Ford unit for when I have to change mine.

Ford "upgraded" the slaves to deal with the issues the first ones had, so any current OE parts have those upgrades and probably has a lot to do with why the Motorcraft parts do better. A lot of the aftermarket parts might just be based on the original designs and not have any of the later improvements Ford made. They were minor, and the slave is still weak, but I'll take whatever improvement I can get, especially if it means not having to drop the tranny just for a slave cylinder change every 50K or less.

Clutch Master

I second the motion against using anything except DOT3 brake fluid. My 97 had an extremely STIFF clutch pedal when I first purchased the vehicle. My 1990 F150 5 speed needed about 1/10th the force needed to operate the clutch. The colder the weather got - the more force my 97 needed - until I actually bent the clutch pedal. Thereafter the clutch acted like it was always partly depressed.

I had to replace the clutch master and flush the system with clean DOT3 fluid to correct it. NOW it is easily operated and is a REAL JOY to drive.

Best Regards,
David

Back