94 Explorer XLT 4x4 stopped working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer XLT 4x4 stopped working

RustyMacintosh

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4 Exploder
I was backing up the boat (21ft I/O) into the side yard, to get over the curb without tearing things up, I always shift down to 4x4 low, then ease the boat and Explorer up over the curb. Everything was fine. Shut off the 4x4 low, pulled out, parked.

Hour later I wanted to ease the Explorer up over the curb to park it, no lights. Nothing. I can hear a faint click probably near the steering column when I hit 4X4. But no clunk, no lights.

In reading the threads, I am going to guess the transfer case motor has taken a sour-pickle. 212K on the Explorer.

Before I order a new electric motor, any relays or fuses under the hood that I can check? Or do you experts think the OEM motor decided to take a McCain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tap on the shift motor a couple times with a hammer and try again. When the shift motor stops working it is usually the position sensor.

Stay tuned...Rus is going to climb under with a big mallet....and no, I hope not to smash my fingers in the process.

Gotta give love to Harbor Freight for a very nicely made hard mallet
. Smacked it a couple of times, turned the key to ON shifted to N and hit the BUTTON. Red light. We got
4WD.

That's just a temporary fix. Now find a Junk Yard and get a replacement.

That's just a temporary fix. Now find a Junk Yard and get a replacement.

2 hours later, I tried it in the parking lot at the Federal Courthouse. NADA...first the lights 4X4 hi came on, but no thunk. No 4x4low, then the lights no longer come on.

AMAZON--I used some of my bonus points for a $70 one. I paid $3.00. I probably will get what I paid for too!

Now I am baffled. The new Dorman came from Amazon, but it does not have the connections to the sensor? Plug (green and blue wires)

Since it did not, I jumped the wires to the input, matching green to gree and blue to blue with the ground.

Worked twice...now nothing. I hear a rapid click click as long as I hold the button down....defective motor?

Pull your old shift motor sensor apart and tell us if it is a sealed unit or you can open it and see a post that used to have a clear 'bumper' on it. That is usually what gets hard and breaks causing misalignment of the sensor.

Then you can look for a urethane replacement bumper, put it back in, then return the Dorman unit.

shift motor sensor, is that the metal plug that sits to the side of the motor, with two wires running to it, and a sorta metal brace that bolts, hold it in?

I just googled it, the rubber plug that holds a 2 inch long metal piece on the transfer case is not what I thought you were talking about.

BUT the gear part, where the wires come out, I will pull it all tomorrow

So are so good. I pulled the Dorman, which will be returned. Since I cut up the plastic connection on the OEM, to get the two wires (blue-green), so I turned it in as a core.

The best I could do for the instant was a Cardone rebuild. Well, it worked. And has worked 4 more times.

NOW! I found a water drip from what looks like the back of the water pump. Gasket maybe? I am considering going ahead and pull the alt/mount off to check to make sure the water pump is secure. The water pump was replaced prior to me buying the SUV.

OR--hire my El Salvadorian tenant, have him swap the motor out this weekend...the 88k motor sits in the bed of my grandsons Nissan pickup. (He's in Iraq spending taxpayers money flying F-18's.)

I really do enjoy this 94, while it sits lower than the 99, I sorta like it. It has a nice look from a distance. Even up close i like the style. I just cannot warm up to the new SUV's, they do nothing for me.

I was at a law group meeting with the local hack judges the other night. Most everyone there was in MB G550, BMW X-5s etc, I show up with my 94 Exploder.

One of the local hack judges made comment about me parking in the handicapped zone. He asked if I got the tags from Ford in a class action settlement. He probably thought that was cute. No comment about the MAGA bumper sticker.

I did overhear one judge comment that I was probably the only one in the room debt free.....I do owe AMEX a few hundred.
I guess ones ego never gets massaged with deep pockets, a Massaratti and a bimbo trophy wife.

Back