• Register Today It's free!

New '94 Explorer XLT 4x4 Owner

RickAKATed10

Reaction score
City, State
IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Well after a lot of Craigslist searching I finally found one. It's a black 1994 XLT with gray leather interior. The previous owner has had it for 11 years and had been meticulous about everything. When I went to see it last night he brought out a small notebook that has every thing done to it since 2005, when it only had 50K miles. Every detailed service is in that notebook, and he also kept the receipts for everything. All of which I've asked if he'd give me. He happily agreed and even said he'd do an oil change on it before he gave it to me. Nice guy!

He was asking for $1,700, and I offered $1,300 and he accepted. It has 151K miles on it and a rebuilt title (insurance requirement - was stolen and vandalized in '98, fixed and upgraded with Limited interior soon after), but besides some rust (all in the normal places), the A/C not working (not a big deal to me), may need a new battery soon (7 years old), and the 4WD currently inoperable (will be fixed), it's just in great condition and I couldn't be happier!

Here's a list of things he fixed some what recently:
*shocks 6/2005
*radiator 2005
*tires 10/2008
*rear bearings & brake shoes 7/2009
*front bearings 7/2009
*starter 9/2009
*front brakes & rotors 5/2010
*front calipers 7/2010
*exhaust system & muffler 9/2010
*rear brake cylinders 10/2010
*alternator 2010
*main brake line repair 2/2011
*thermostat, coolant temperature sender, radiator cap 11/2011
*gas tank straps 11/2011

I bought a 2012 Mustang in March so this will be a perfect winter vehicle for me and hopefully it'll last quite a few years. I've been on forums for all of my previous cars, since I got my license, so I know my way around and I'm glad I found this site.

Here are some pics:

dadcar4.jpg

dadcar5.jpg

dadcar3.jpg

dadcar2.jpg

dadcar6.jpg

dadcar1.jpg

dadcar10.jpg

dadcar11.jpg

dadcar9.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice, that lower trim looks like it is hiding alot of rust, one of the problems us tupperware guys have had. Search on here for the 4x4 problem you may find an easy fix.

-cheers

WOW, that thing looks to be in great condition considering its 16 years old. hope next year when im on a hunt for a 94 sport i can get trail ready, i find one like that.

Congrats! It looks like it's in really great shape! It even has the original stereo :eek:
Thanks a lot. It's definitely in great shape for it's age. The factory cassette player is staying, I think. lol Nostalgia!
Nice, that lower trim looks like it is hiding alot of rust, one of the problems us tupperware guys have had. Search on here for the 4x4 problem you may find an easy fix.

-cheers
Oh yeah, the rust is definitely there. I was searching for possible ways to fix it with minimal effort. I found these on ebay...

Rocker Repair Panel LH 4Dr Ford Explorer 91 92 93 94

$(KGrHqEOKjkE4ofCh(nOBOPyQCig,!~~2_12.jpg

Has anyone tried them? I searched the forum for the sellers name to see it it was mentioned before, but I came up with nothing.

I also found several helpful threads for possibly ways to fix the 4x4 shift motor, etc. I'll be looking into it. Thank you.
WOW, that thing looks to be in great condition considering its 16 years old. hope next year when im on a hunt for a 94 sport i can get trail ready, i find one like that.
For it's age, it's beautiful, and runs like a top. I wish all people took care of their vehicles like this guy did. It sure would make shopping for a used one much less painful.

If anyone has any advice, please do share. Thank you!

Nice score!

I have only ever seen 1 other meticulous owner. The time when my sister bought an 86 1/2 supra (back in July 2000). The original owner bought in in 1986 and had EVERY record on hand, every nit picky thing she took it to the dealer for. Sadly my sister rolled it 6 months later, but walked away unhurt (seatbelt saved her).

Good luck on the journey with your new to you explorer.

If you're handy and have or have access to some basic tools, I can show you exactly how to fix that, :D

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171419
I actually found the thread while doing some searching. That's some serious rust fixing. Great job!
Nice score!

I have only ever seen 1 other meticulous owner. The time when my sister bought an 86 1/2 supra (back in July 2000). The original owner bought in in 1986 and had EVERY record on hand, every nit picky thing she took it to the dealer for. Sadly my sister rolled it 6 months later, but walked away unhurt (seatbelt saved her).

Good luck on the journey with your new to you explorer.
Thank you very much.

I just picked it up today. Loving it so far!

Back