94 Exporer runs but has 214 KOEO CODE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Exporer runs but has 214 KOEO CODE

ghostpoet

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Help,

Been running my 94 Explorer XLT with a check engine light on for over a year now. Got tired of it and from what I can tell with my tester, I have a 214 (CID) KOEO code. Ford wants too much money to fix (CMP and CKP sensors) and (ICM and PCM modules). Quoted a couple thousand dollars....WTF?

Any body out there experiencing the same thing? I have disconnected the CKP sensor, and the car won't even start. Can I assume the CKP sensor is not not bad? From what i can tell, I can't even get to the CMP sensor..( in the back of engine??)

Bought this new in 94 in Tokyo while in the Navy and I'm not ready to part with it.....just wanna make the light go away and have it run normally again....it only has 75K. Any suggestions out there?

Thank you in advance for any tips or suggestions?

Respectfully,

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same issue, it is the camshaft position sensor. You can pull it easily, I tried pulling one from a junkyard and its much easier if you remove the upper intake manifold first. Then its pretty much 1 bolt and a clip like a distributor and it pulls out. Its on the back of the engine where a distributor would be.

My truck runs with the 214 code, and I disconnected the camshaft sensor plug, and it runs the same, leading me to believe that is the issue.

I've been driving like this for a year and a half now since i bought the truck and its still running. I'm led to believe the 94 computer has software in it that allows the engine to run even when the camshaft sensor goes bad.

Although.....now that you're talking about it, my 214 code disappeared today and my truck seems to run smoother and have more torque. This has happened in the past for me, but it usually lasts no longer then 10 minutes. It went through the whole day yesterday without throwing the code. First time in a year and a half. If it keeps this up i'm not sure if I want to spend the time changing the sensor that I pulled from the junkyard.

Thanks Mechjames!

I was pretty sure that is what it was. I finally got frustrated and took it to the garage for my yearly inspection...( it was overdue) I asked them to use their computer and narrow it down and guess what?....

The shop called moments after I read your post.....it is the camshaft position sensor. My mechanic said the magnet is falling apart.

Now at least I have a some sense of relief that when I spent the $$ to get it put in, I'm not troubleshooting with greenbacks...to still have that damn Check Engine Light on. I just have to find one now..maybe Ebay?...any ideas or suggestions on where to get one at a reasonable price? The shop wants $200.00 to put it in.....I'm cool with that as long as it fixes my car. :)

I'm a Electronics guy...not too comfortable with tearing my motor apart..

Thanks for the reply...it was greatly appreciated!!

From the Beach of Virginia,

Mike

why dont u go to a junk yard and get sensor or find something in a wreck

Looks like going to a junkyard might be my only solution. The part is hard to find and I just don't have alot of time. Thanks...

Rockauto doesn't carry it, the local parts stores around here don't have it, NAPA can get it in about its about 700$ cdn retail, still a lot even if you get a good discount. Don't even think about the dealer price.

Best bet is from a wrecker. I'm lucky because I pulled one from a high mileage explorer, which had been changed in the past (the one i got was made by bosch, stock I believe is motorcraft)

But this is day 2 mines been working 100%. Not going to change it unless my CEL comes back on again.

Back