94 limited used for towing a a little play/grocery getting. What shocks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 limited used for towing a a little play/grocery getting. What shocks?

protomind

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited Edition
I have the saggy rear end on the explorer and I would like to address that issue since when I do any towing it severely sags. The shocks are on thier last legs right now so I was thinking of replacing them ASAP. Should I use air fillable shocks on the rear end so that whenever I tow I can just add a bit more air that day? What kinds of shocks should I be looking into for this truck?
I understand that adding a rear spring may also be a good choice for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if your x sags already then your springs are probly sprung... i recomend replaceing the springs then worry about the shocks. i dont remember but can you do F150 springs on a first gen? oh ya them are some nice shocks that mnmattie was looking at.

I just replaced all of my bushings, springs, and shocks on my '91. I replaced the springs (but I must've gotten a bad set). They sprung completely flat once installed - not good. Rather than buy another set, I installed air bags, followed by new shocks all around. I figure that if my leafs have been bad for awhile, my shocks were to follow soon because of the excess stress. I installed ranchos and now I'm fairly happy with the ride. Plus, for towing, I can simply inflate my air bags to support my load.

Define "light towing." I don't do anything heavy duty and I've used whatever Pep Boys has on sale for the 2X I've changed them. Fine if you're just using a utility trailer to go to the dump or such. About $40 for the whole truck.

Install some warrior lift shackles in the rear and some new shocks. I had the same problem with my 93 limited and this did wonders. The shackes only cost around 50 dollars and were very easy to install.

lol easy to install? not mine, we got them, waitting on doing them this weekend, been spraying pb blaster on them like crazy, couple friends decided to use their air tools and if that dont work, grinding the bolts off 15 yrs of Ohio winter... never good!

I'm planning on getting these, Rancho RS9000XL Just a little expensive at ~$100 a piece. Maybe something you could be looking for...

OR something like this 2" Lift Leveling Kit, Which is basically an add-a-leaf with new front coils. It also lets you select Nitro, Hydro, or No shocks. New front springs, add-a-leaf and new shocks is not bad for ~$400.

Hope this at least gives you an idea what's out there. The Ex's uspension is the one area that seems to be somewhat supported by the aftermarket.

The shackles are very easy to install. I never mentioned how hard it was to get the old ones off. I used a dremel and a BFH.(Big F-ing Hammer) Took only like an hour to get the old ones off and install the new ones.

lol yeah im hearing that now, i went and got a very small grinder, im a big guy 315 lbs and went and bent a socket set trying to get the bolts off after days of pb blaster, yes i used a pipe, not a long or big one, and now i have a rachet set that works around corners.

Back