Problems with Gas Fill | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems with Gas Fill

As per my PM to you, I have moved your post to this thread on a similar issue.

Peter

Thanks Peter. As I just mentioned to 13Sport, I had figured there was something already on this, but just didn't locate it when searched the threads. Thanks again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a hard time filling your 2011 and up explorer because the gas pump keeps clicking off early or cannot fill the tank past 3/4. You may have been invaded by spiders. Spiders will build a nest or web inside the evap vent tube that allows air to escape the gas tank when fueling. If this tube is clogged air cannot escape and the pump will think the tank is full and click off. This is a very easy fix, and have been told by a tech that it is happening very often with many types of cars on the road now.
explorerfix001_zpsf14ea059.jpg
first locate the evap cannister.
IMG_08141_zps5776991d.jpg
this is under the passenger side rear door
explorerfix003_zps2f23235e.jpg
this is the vent tube coming out of the canister
explorerfix004_zps508cdd4e.jpg
pull the hose out and try to blow through this tube, it is just a vent. If you cannot blow through this easy it is clogged and is your problem.
explorerfix006_zpsdd0d474e.jpg
this is the other end of the hose above the rear suspension. it is just held into the frame with a grommet.
explorerfix008_zpsb9c4bd11.jpg
pull out the grommet and you will find the diffuser end, make sure this is clear of spiders and webs, i am trying to find a sock product to install over this to prevent this from happening again.
explorerfix009_zps9f008bce.jpg
explorerfix011_zpse5609005.jpg
now with this end removed blow through the pipe again untill you can blow without a problem, can also use an air compressor to remove the blockage. reinstall the pipes and the grommet and go get gas to test your fix!

Followed Jeff's directions from above and found the diffuser filled with a web. Cleared it out but still have the "check Fill Spout" light and now a check engine symbol. I've scheduled it with the dealer in a couple of days. Was told my gas tank should be at half full for them to get a proper code indication. What would we do without computers?! Car's running fine by the way.

To keep this going, my wife said the last 3 times she tried to fill the truck up it keeps shutting off about 1/2 a tank and will not stop clicking. We will be taking it in also, really hope something isn't full of spiders, this is crazy. Raid makes a perimeter defense spray for your house but what about your cars ?

You can spray that under the car or on the actual area of the vent.
It may actually stick on the plastic parts and keep pests away.

I have found depending on the nozzle length and bend angle I get this sometimes too. Don't cram it all the way in at first (thats what she said). Keep about a .25 of an inch out and make sure to wait 5 seconds before you start pumping.

That's nasty!

Just saw a recall on the news for mazda vehicles having spider problems. The spiders must have figured out Ex owners were on to their little game and moved on.:D

Fuel fill problem '11 Explorer

In the past week when I go to fill gas in my Explorer it stops filling after about a gallon. The pump handle clicks off as if it is sensing the back pressure when a tank is filled. So I have to keep stopping and starting the trigger on the pump handle. Today when I was filling gas some came out of the bottom assuming there is some type of overflow release. Has anyone had this problem and if so what was the correction or repair? Some people have told me it may be something in the filled neck.

It is an issue with the vapor recovery (nonsuch thing as back pressure) if it is stopping like that. My guess is spiders/spider webs built up in the vent hole.

Do a search, it has been discussed on here, there is a vent in the right rear under the vehicle.

DelSil, as blwnsmoke mentioned, there is an existing thread on this issue. A 'Search' brought up this thread and I have merged your thread with it. Good luck..

Peter

In the past week when I go to fill gas in my Explorer it stops filling after about a gallon. The pump handle clicks off as if it is sensing the back pressure when a tank is filled. So I have to keep stopping and starting the trigger on the pump handle. Today when I was filling gas some came out of the bottom assuming there is some type of overflow release. Has anyone had this problem and if so what was the correction or repair? Some people have told me it may be something in the filled neck.

Hi DelSil,

I'd recommend getting this in front of your dealership so they can help. How many miles do you have on it?

Crystal

DelSil, although Crystal is usually of great help, I highly recommend reading through this and checking on your own first. If it is caused by animals/rodents/insects etc, this will not be covered under warranty. Seeing your dealer first with such an easy fix will just result in a bill to you from the dealer.

My 2014 Sport is doing this now.

70 liter tank.

Clicks off at 55 liters

Not very good.

My 2014 Sport is doing this now.

70 liter tank...

I'm happy to assist, Vermillion. Please PM me your VIN, full name, daytime phone number, and dealer info; I will loop in your regional customer service manager. Also, I suggest making an appointment with your dealer at your earliest convenience; be sure to include the booking arrangements in your PM.

Kwasi

I'm happy to assist, Vermillion. Please PM me your VIN, full name, daytime phone number, and dealer info; I will loop in your regional customer service manager. Also, I suggest making an appointment with your dealer at your earliest convenience; be sure to include the booking arrangements in your PM. Kwasi

Will do!

Vermillion, are you sure that you didn't perhaps have 15 litres left in the tank?
Pumping 55 litres is pretty close to a fill up unless the tank was empty. What did your gas gauge show when the pump clicked off? I don't think the gauge takes the 'reserve' into account when it reads near empty if you were going by the gauge.

Peter

The range after the fill was 374km. The last gill up it was around 520km.

Odd.

Did the gas gauge indicate the tank was full?? There are other things that can affect the Miles to Empty (MTE) reading. If your average mpg was lower this time than at previous fill ups then your MTE reading is also going to be lower.
If the pump clicked off at 55 litres and the gauge did not read FULL, then I would think there is a problem. If it read FULL, then there likely is no problem.

Peter

Got my Explorer back last week and they found a bunch of spider webs in the gas filling vent tube. It was covered by my manufacturer's warranty.

I have to say this forum rocks! This totally fixed my issue. Sure enough there was a spider and a web in there.

Back