94 X, fails to start, stumbles when it does | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 X, fails to start, stumbles when it does

QuaiChangKane

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Just registered here after reading this site for hours trying to troubleshoot my Explorer.

Justy picked up this 1994 a week ago - it had been sitting for extended periods over the past couple of years as the owner had some medical problems.

When I first got it, it ran strong, but hesitated to start - by this, I mean that it would crank and fire, rev to about 2K RPM, then stall. After repeating this 5 or so times, it would idle and warm up fine, drive well with good power and smooth idle, but smell rich.

I drove it about 75 miles, worked a few hours, then attempted to drive home. The car ran for about 15 miles in stop-and-go traffic, then stalled. After getting it started on the shoulder of the interstate, it would miss and stumble on acceleration - I managed to limp it to a service area driving along the shoulder, where I called for a tow.

The next morning at the garage, it fired fine on the first attempt, and the mechanic checked for vacuum leaks and fuel pressure. The previous owner changed the fuel pump and filter, and the fuel pressure read 35psi at idle.

I drove the car home with no issues - ran smoothly, good power, solid idle. Put some fuel additive in it thinking there might have been condensation in the tank - Drove it on and off over the Thanksgiving break around town, and the starting issue seemed to have vanished.

Yesterday, I drove to work only about 15 miles through town, and after working a couple of hours, the car would not start. Crank, fire, stall. Crank, fire, stall. After messing around looking for loose connections and broken wires, trying to start it for the next couple of hours, it finally started and I managed to drive it home - BUT, this time it would start to cut out if I tried to accelerate more than just a touch of throttle. I managed to cruise at 45mph home, but more than super gentle acceleration would cause it to sputter - if I accelerated, it would start to die every 3 seconds like clockwork - rev, cough, rev, cough, etc.

No CEL at all - either solid or intermittent. The mechanic I took it to did not have OBD1 eqpt to read any codes, and the local auto parts store only has OBD2 readers for loan. I'm going to check the KOEO codes in a moment, but likely won't be able to get the KOER codes.

Great resource guys, and thanks for the time it takes to respond to everyone's issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

-Q!

BTW - is there a separate fuse for the CEL? I'm thinking that after all of these issues, the CEL would show at some point...

Thanks!

Disconnected the MAF, the damn thing starts right up. Idles rough, of course, and smells of raw fuel (and granted, the engine is cold), but it revs smoothly and doesn't stall, fires every time.

Plug the MAF back in, same problems - crank, fire, stall, ad nauseum.

Pricing an MAF now - will try cleaning first, but don't know if I have any of those damn security Torx drivers to pul the MAF....

Cheers,

-Q!

MAF runs about $100 new. I've cleaned mine several times, runs fine unless it is unplugged but still gives me a code stating its running lean, MAF, and O2 sensor's.

I would clean it first as you said. Also pull of the IAC, driver side of the engine towards the top of the intake. Clean it as well. I clean both about once a year because mine develops a high idle, around 900 rpm at idle. After I clean them and let them dry, it idles around 500-600.

Sorry I could not be more help on these issues.

Edit, Sure your using this method to pull your codes. Just posting a link.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255962

Back