95 Explorer Owner with Shake issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Explorer Owner with Shake issues

Charxnsj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
95 Ex purchased in 2007, 160,800 mi. - I'm looking for resolution to "shaking" brought on when my drivers seat caught on fire (April) and burned the circuitry under the seat resulting in the car shaking - mechanic said it had something to do with the car "thinking" it was in 4WD? He said the first try at fixing was to disconnect the battery to see if it "resets" itself - which it did not -
It shakes upon starting and in Park while turning the steering wheel, also while driving. Mechanic also said it was safe to drive - but shaking makes me feel uncomfortable and pretty soon that something is going to shake itself loose and fall off. I rarely feel like I can exceed 55mph on most roads here, and would love to know if anyone else has experienced this situation.Thanks for any advice you have.

It sounds like it may be stuck in four wheel drive.

If that's the case as a temporary and cheap "fix" you could remove the shift motor, and then turn the shaft in the transfer case with a vise grip to place it back into 2 wheel drive.

Stuck in 4WD

Thanks Rick,
I appreciate your reply and will mention your suggestion to my mechanic, as this IS what it "feels" like (stuck).

Back