95 explorer sport 2d 4x4.... Couple Questions...Need help... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 explorer sport 2d 4x4.... Couple Questions...Need help...

tuggey

Reaction score
City, State
inverness, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 sport

Hi, I have a couple questions... I just got a 95 explorer sport 2d 4x4 and dont really know much about em.. last vehicle I had was a 89 jeep cherokee..

after joining this site and looking around Ive seen a couple threads on stuff that happens commonly with explorer like for example the brake caliper bolts coming loose.... I looking for some people who could just help me out and tell me some of these problems that happen quite commonly so if i can catch them before it happens or if it does happen ill know were to look.. Thanks...

Second Question is... i have a 2d and the driver side rear quarter panel has a big dent in it... unlike a 4d the 2d rear quarter panel is like half the body which sucks... i need to know that year explorers have a universal 2d rear quarter panel that fit my 95... ive tried to look on google but got multiple answers from like 91-01 to 95-99 etc. so if someone could answer me that id appreciate it alot............. thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

95 to 97 is same style the only different to 98 to 00 is the lift gate and taillight. but other then that, i haven't had any problem with my 95 4dr xlt explorer.

Any more Input on this? dont want to pay a bit for one then not have it fit :/ lol...
and still need someone to answer the common problem question... thanks

Biggest problems with these trucks.....

Blend door
Ball Joints
Transmissions are weak on V6 models
Head gaskets on OHV V6 (which you have).
Multifunction switch
Rear ABS sensor

I may have missed few, but these came off the top of my head.

Alright its a start.... thanks Chapsdeva...
Anyone else got any? also need more on the body thing... he is probably right but
would just like more input on it....

Biggest problems with these trucks.....

Blend door
Ball Joints
Transmissions are weak on V6 models
Head gaskets on OHV V6 (which you have).
Multifunction switch
Rear ABS sensor

I may have missed few, but these came off the top of my head.

Tuggey...I was in a rush when I posted this, so let me give you a little more detail as to what to look for regarding the problems I listed.....

Blend door - Make sure that the A/C is blowing cold or the vent is blowing the correct temperature air. Typically when the blend door fails it will blow hot air no mater what you put the temp on...Ok in the winter, but not fun in summer. There are threads on this site on how to fix it.

Ball joints - Definte issue with there trucks. Typical symptom is squeaking when going over bumps. Again, numerous threads on how to identify/fix this.

Transmissions - As I stated, the V6 trannys are known to have problems. However, if the transmission has been maintained well you should be OK (My 2000 XLT has 160K and the tranny shifts like new. However, I always change the fluid between 30K - 40K.). Check the dipstick for the fluid condition. It should be red and not smell burned. If it is brown then change the fluid.

Head Gaskets - The 4.0 OHV is a strong engine and should last well past 200K if well maintained. However, they are know to have issues with blown head gaskets. Check your oil and make sure it is not milky. Also check the coolant to make sure ther is no oil in it. Even if they both look fine, monitor your coolant level. If it is dropping that indicates you have a bad head gasket or a simple leak somewhere. Not trying to scare you and the vast majority do not have this problem, but just something to be aware of.

Multifunction Switch - These go bad on Explorers all the time. Luckely it is a cheap and easly fix for the DIYer. Symptoms include wipers that come on by themselves, smoke from the steering column when you put your turn signal and/or hazards on, lights not working, etc.

Rear ABS sensor - You will know you have this problem when the ABS light comes on. 90% of the time when the ABS light comes on it's the rear sensor. An easy fix (It's locted on the top of the rear differential).

Hopefully this helps. Overall, these are great trucks and are easy to repare for the most part. You are lucky you don't have the SOHC V6 as they have horrible problems with the timing chain tensioners/cassets (Mine has had a minor issue with this for over 120K, but keeps on going). Enjoy your new Ex and definely utilize this site as there is a wealth of information here and so many guys who are willing to help with any problems you may have!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks man... that helps alot on explaining stuff i reall appreciate it.....

You said if it was well taken care of it should last long and you have like 160k and 200k miles as examples...... mine has 220k lol... and its a v6 4.0 EFI 5 speed manual
(including overdrive) and the trans seems to be doing good.... only things im haveing problem with is the brakes( they seem spoungy and they feel to skip when i apply them sometimes..) and the rear is squeky.... and if i sit it idles rough...

but for a 95 explorer sport 4x4 with control trac 5speed
220k miles on it... it starts up everytime body is in damn good shape and so is paint except the rear driver side as stated above and the interior is like 8/10 good i cant complain since i only paid $200 for it lol.....

Back